Bhajji out, Jadeja the new face in Indian ODI team for Lanka tourJanuary 18th, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan.18 (ANI): The national selection committee on Sunday announced its 15-member one-day international team for the upcoming cricket tour of Sri Lanka which includes one new face — Saurashtra all rounder Ravindra Jadeja.
The 20-year-old Jadeja has been rewarded for his consistent performance i.e. taking 42 wickets and scoring over 740 runs in the current first class season His inclusion is stated to have remained on the cards for long time. Jadeja’’s Saurashtra teammate Cheteshwar Pujara, however, was given short shrift as the selectors kept faith largely in the players who had helped India vanquish England 5-0 after winning the previous rubber in Sri Lanka.
Meanwhile, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh has not been included for the tour because of a hamstring injury.
Two frontline spinners — Pragyan Ojha and Jadeja — have been picked in his place.
The team also includes Uttar Pradesh’’s seamer Meerut lad Praveen Kumar, who was left out of the one day team after the ODI series in Sri Lanka in August last year. He makes a comeback into the one-day fold.
Virat Kohli, the Delhi batsman who was part of the ODI squad in the home series against England, was dropped from the team announced by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) joint secretary Sanjay Jagdale after a meeting of the selectors in Mumbai on Sunday.
Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was also present at the meeting.
The Indian squad would assemble in Chennai on January 25 and practice under lights at the Chidambaram Stadium. It will depart for Colombo the next day, Jagdale said in a statement.
The team consists of seven frontline batsmen, including captain and stumper Dhoni, three all-rounders, four pace bowlers and spinner Ojha.
The India cricket squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Sachin R. Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja and Praveen Kumar and Pragyan Ojha.
The first two ODIs of the series would be played at the Rangiri Dambulla International cricket stadium on January 28 and 30.
Colombo’’s R Premadasa International Cricket stadium will host the third and fourth matches on February 2 and 5, besides the only Twenty20 match of the tour scheduled for February 10.
The fifth ODI is scheduled on February 8 at Sinhalese Sports Club, also in Colombo. (ANI)
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in ODI fold, Irfan retained (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Tendulkar opts out of Sri Lanka tour - Jul 04, 2012
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Harbhajan fails to make comeback to ODI squad - Oct 18, 2011
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- Uthappa in India squad for one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 07, 2012
- Ashwin in Indian team, Harbhajan kept out - Oct 29, 2011
- Seniors rested for Zimbabwe tour, Raina to lead - May 09, 2010
- Ishant dropped, Chawla in for ODI series against Proteas - Dec 21, 2010
- Sachin rested, Yuvraj and Pathan dropped from Asia Cup squad - Jun 07, 2010
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- Seniors rested, Gambhir to lead ODI side against New Zealand - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: chidambaram stadium, cricket tour, dhoni, gautam gambhir, india bcci, india cricket, irfan pathan, munaf patel, national selection committee, odi series, odi squad, pathan zaheer, praveen kumar, pujara, rohit sharma, short shrift, virender sehwag, yusuf pathan, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan