Bhaichung to lead national football team in Asian CupDecember 27th, 2010 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) Despite his injury and fitness worries, Bhaichung Bhutia was named captain of the Indian football team for the Asian Cup in Doha starting January 7.Bhutia, who is nursing a right-calf muscle injury, has admitted that he doesn’t want to miss the tournament and the All India Football Federation (AIFF) expectedly selected him to lead the 23-member side that was announced Monday.
The only new face in the squad is goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, who replaced Arindam Bhattacharya. Young defender Govin Singh has also made it to the side while Anthony Pereira, Arindam Bhattacharya and Samir Naik have been seated out due to injuries.
N.Mohanraj, Jagpreet Singh, Baljit Singh Sahni and experienced midfielder Lukram James Singh also have missed out.
The team, which is now based in Dubai, will leave for Doha Jan 6 and will open their campaign in Group C against Australia Jan 10. India next face Bahrain Jan 14 and will take on South Korea Jan 18 in their last league match.
The AIFF has also appointed Raul Carmo Fernandes as the team manager replacing Pradeep Chowdhury, who returned home after differences of opinion with the coach. AIFF vice-president Subrata Dutta will be the Chef de Mission while Larsing Sawayan will be the head of the delegation.
Goalkeepers: Subrata Pal, Subhasish Roy Choudhury and Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
Defenders: Surkumar Singh, Gouramangi Singh, Anwar, Mahesh Gawli, Syed Rahim Nabi, Deepak Mondal, N.S. Manju, Rakesh Masih and Govin Singh
Midfielders: Steven Dias, N.P.Pradeep,Climax Lawrence, Clifford Miranda, Renedy Singh, Mehrajuddin Wadao, Baldeep Singh.
Strikers: Bhaichung Bhutia (captain), Sunil Chhetri, Abhishek Yadav and Sushil Kumar Singh
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Bhaichung, Renedy among 32 probables for Pakistan friendlies - Jul 20, 2011
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- Houghton expects Portugal camp to be productive - Jun 30, 2010
- Tough to retain an injured Bhaichung in team: AIFF - Jan 07, 2011
- Wadoo, Pereira strike as India beat Namibia 2-0 (Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- No new face in national football camp - May 05, 2009
- India beat Real Massama in Portugal tour - Aug 13, 2010
- Upset with players, AIFF to depute officials to Dubai - Dec 28, 2010
- India register 1-0 win over over Atletico - Aug 05, 2010
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul dropped - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: abhishek, asian cup, baljit singh, bhaichung bhutia, calf muscle injury, chef de mission, chowdhury, football federation, gurpreet singh, indian football, mahesh, manju, midfielders, mondal, nabi, national football team, rakesh, sahni, singh sandhu, sushil kumar