Bhaichung to challenge Mohun Bagan’s suspension order (Lead)June 9th, 2009 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Gangtok/Kolkata, June 9 (IANS) India’s football captain Bhaichung Bhutia says he is not “tense” over his six-month suspension by his Mohun Bagan club and will challenge it.
Speaking to IANS from his village in Tinkitam, about 55 kilometers from Gangtok, Bhaichung termed the suspension notice a ploy to retain him at the Kolkata club for another season.
“I have received the notice but I am not at all tense. It is just a ploy to keep me at Mohun Bagan for another season. But I will not play for them any more,” he said.
Bhaichung said that he has few offers and is negotiating with a couple of I-League clubs.
“I have a few options (East Bengal and Dempo). Which ever club suits me the most, I will sign for them,” he said.
Bhaichung’s lawyer Usha Nath Banerjee told reporters in Kolkata that the “suspension order cannot stand the test of legality”.
“Bhaichung will definitely challenge this suspension order before the appropriate forum. It can be the IFA (state body), All India Football Federation (AIFF), FIFA or even in a court of law,” said Banerjee.
Banerjee said that IFA rules state that before suspending the player, disciplinary proceedings have to be initiated against him. The player should also be given a reasonable opportunity to present his side of the case.
“Mohun Bagan’s letter was not even a showcause letter. It was just a letter seeking some clarifications.
“And technically, Bhaichung’s contract for the 2009-10 season with Mohun Bagan has not commenced. For that, Bhaichung has to be registered with the IFA and it hasn’t been done till now. So the contract is still not valid and he is not a Mohun Bagan player now,” Banerjee added.
He also said that Bhaichung had informed the club officails when he skipped the practice sessions in the last season.
“Circumstances indicate that it was Mohun Bagan’s intention to finish off his game and kill football,” he said.
Mohun Bagan Monday suspended Bhaichung for six months, alleging that the striker has given an unsatisfactory reply to the show cause notice slapped on him by the I-League club.
Last month Mohun Bagan issued a show cause notice to Bhaichung after he skipped some practice sessions and an exhibition game to take part in the dance reality show “Jhalak dikhla Ja”. The player was asked to reply within 48 hours.
- Bhaichung to appeal against Mohun Bagan's suspension notice - Jun 09, 2009
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Mohun Bagan face Pune in Barreto's farewell match - May 05, 2012
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Mohun Bagan's chief coach resigns - Dec 13, 2010
- Kashmir has talent but no infrastructure: Footballer Ishfaq Ahmed - Oct 23, 2011
- I-League: Lajong take on Chirag - Mar 23, 2012
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- East Bengal face Mohun Bagan in I-League's Kolkata derby - Feb 03, 2012
- Bagan's 1911 Shield triumph to become part of school texts - Apr 10, 2012
- Babul Supriyo turns designer, designs jersey for Mohun Bagan - Jul 30, 2012
- I-League win with Salgaocar was sweetest, says Bencherifa - Jun 01, 2011
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
- Bhutia moves AIFF on Bagan dispute - Jul 10, 2009
- Revamped I-League has to be pan-Indian, says Bhutia - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: aiff, banerjee, bhaichung bhutia, clarifications, dempo, disciplinary proceedings, east bengal, fifa, football captain, football federation, intention, kilometers, kolkata, league clubs, mohun bagan club, nath, ploy, practice sessions, suspension notice, usha