Bhaichung Bhutia wins ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’June 1st, 2009 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 31 (IANS) After showing his legwork on the field, football star Bhaichung Bhutia has proved he can dance well too as he walked away with the winner’s trophy after the grand finale of third season of Sony TV’s reality show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa” here Sunday night.
Bhutia, who was one of the weaker contenders when the show began over three months back, beat model Gauhar Khan and actor Karan Grover to win the Rs.4 million prize money as well as the audience’s adulation.
His victory has not only been backed by improved performance, but also by the SMS frenzy in his home state of Sikkim.
Several women from an organisation called Sahayta Club chipped in with Rs.30,000 to buy mobile cash cards so that they could facilitate 10,000 SMS votes for Bhutia last week.
Another campaign was undertaken by a social organisation called Citizens Forum that had set up a massive tent in Sikkim to conduct mass voting. Many booths were also set up in various localities in and around the state and neighbouring West Bengal hills to boost Bhutia’s vote count.
Even the United Sikkim Sporting Soccer Club, whose chief patron is Bhutia, organised a mass voting at a discotheque in Gangtok.
Bhutia was recently slapped with a show-cause notice by Mohun Bagan, the club for which he plays football, for missing their practice sessions.
But he went on to perfect his dance moves for “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa”.
The special episode was a glitzy event with performances from the participants, choreographers as well as celebrity guests, actors Malaika Arora Khan and Mallika Sherawat.
The show’s judges - star choreographers Saroj Khan and Vaibhavi Merchant - as well as actress Juhi Chawla graced the event.
A run-down of the journey of the three finalists too was showcased.
- Sikkim in SMS voting frenzy for Bhaichung Bhutia - May 24, 2009
- Ravi Kishan out of 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 5' - Aug 11, 2012
- Sourav Ganguly to judge 'Jhalak Dikkhla Jaa 4'? - Oct 05, 2010
- Sanath Jayasuriya grooves to 'Tama tama loge' - Jun 08, 2012
- I won't dance on stage again: Bhaichung Bhutia - Jun 01, 2009
- Giaa Manek out of 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 5' - Aug 18, 2012
- Talat Aziz out of 'Jhalak Dikkhla Jaaa' - Jun 30, 2012
- Isha may win 'Jhalak...': Archana Vijaya - Jul 15, 2012
- Colors acquires 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa', signs Madhuri - Feb 14, 2012
- Malaika teaches 'Munni' steps to Madhuri - Jan 31, 2011
- Remo D' Souza scares young Salman Khan - Jul 19, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's 'Jhalak...' journey ends - Aug 04, 2012
- Television actors dominate 'Jhalak Dikhla Jaa 4' - Dec 08, 2010
- Gangtok sends 50,000 votes for Baichung's victory on 'Jhalak' - May 05, 2009
- Ankita Lokhande out of 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4' - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: adulation, bhaichung bhutia, cash cards, celebrity guests, chief patron, choreographers, citizens forum, dance moves, football star, grand finale, juhi chawla, karan grover, malaika arora, mallika sherawat, mohun bagan, practice sessions, social organisation, sony tv, vote count, west bengal