Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIsJuly 2nd, 2012 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
St.John’s (Antigua), July 2 (IANS/CMC) The West Indies selectors have called up fast bowler Tino Best and all-rounder Andre Russell to the 13-man squad for the first two One-Day Internationals against New Zealand starting next week in Jamaica.
Both players participated in the recent ODI series in England but were overlooked for the Twenty20 International doubleheader in Florida, US, reported Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).
Leg-spinner Samuel Badree and fast bowler Fidel Edwards, who featured in those two matches this weekend, are both out of the squad.
The squad will be led by regular captain Darren Sammy and includes the most from the T20 unit.
In his first one-dayer in three years last month, Best bowled without success to finish wicket-less from seven overs as England won the second ODI by eight wickets at the Oval.
Russell, meanwhile, missed the T20 doubleheader against New Zealand through injury that also ruled him of the last two limited overs matches of the England series last month.
The West Indies face New Zealand in the opening ODI at Sabina Park next Thursday before playing the second game two days later at the same venue.
The last three ODIs are set for Warner Park in St Kitts.
Squad: Darren Sammy (Captain), Tino Best, Dwayne Bravo, Johnson Charles, Chris Gayle, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith.
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Windies switching gears for Twenty20 series against Australia - Mar 27, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Sammy plays down idea of second frontline spinner - Jul 25, 2012
- Sammy hails return of Gayle for ODIs - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: caribbean media, chris gayle, dayer, denesh ramdin, doubleheader, dwayne bravo, dwayne smith, eight wickets, england series, fidel edwards, kieron, lendl, man squad, marlon samuels, narine, odi series, odis, ravi rampaul, sabina park, warner park