Besiktas’ 5-1 victory over Maccabi Tel AvivSeptember 16th, 2011 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, Sep 16 (IANS) Turkey’s Besiktas thrashed Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv 5-1 in their first game of the UEFA Europa League group E fixture here Thursday.
The game received much hype due to the Israeli team’s presence in Turkey at a time when diplomatic relations between the two countries are at an all-time low. Besiktas let their football do the talking on the pitch.
The game passed off incident free at Besiktas’s scenic Fiyapi Inounu Stadium next to the Bosphorus.
The goals for Besiktas were scored by Hugo Almeida, Mehmet Aurelio, Egemen Korkmaz and Edu while Maccabi’s sole strike came from Roi Kehat.
Besiktas had taken a 2-0 lead at half time and played out the game in comfort.
The other teams in the group are Stoke City from England and Dynamo Kiev from Ukraine.
A force of more than 2,300 police officers was deployed just around the stadium to prevent any untoward incident during Maccabi ’s visit to Istanbul, according to media reports.
Six Israeli plainclothes police officers accompanied Maccabi to Istanbul as well.
The bringing of Palestinian flags into the stadium was prohibited as well to avoid the risk of sanctions that Besiktas might face as a result.
- Spartak seal passage to Champions League group stage - Aug 30, 2012
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Ukraine's coach Blokhin names Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU - Jun 07, 2012
- Kiev to face Feyenoord in Champions League qualifying - Jul 20, 2012
- World weightlifting championships begins in Turkey - Sep 17, 2010
- Turkey to build canal through Istanbul to aid sea traffic - Apr 28, 2011
- Kuranyi puts faith in Petrescu to rescue Dynamo - Aug 20, 2012
- Kenyan and Ethiopian runners win Istanbul marathon - Oct 17, 2011
- Dynamo slump continues with defeat against Terek - Aug 19, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012
- Early exits beckon for Champions League big guns - Nov 23, 2009
- Manchester City, Marseille win in UEFA Cup - Mar 13, 2009
- Istanbul holds world's only intercontinental marathon - Oct 16, 2011
- Turkey bars men from football matches - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,