Besieged Windies facing heavy defeat after limp displayMay 12th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Northampton (England), May 12 (IANS/CMC) Embattled West Indies were facing the prospect of an innings defeat after their bowlers let England Lions off the hook and their batsmen then suffered their second collapse on the second day of their four-day match here.
Captain James Taylor stroked a fine 118 as the Lions, resuming on their overnight 40 for one, recovered from a precarious 98 for five before lunch to post 341 all out in good conditions at Wantage Road Friday.
Fast bowlers Ravi Rampaul and Kemar Roach picked up three wickets apiece while off-spinner Shane Shillingford and speedster Fidel Edwards added two each.
Trailing by 194 runs, the West Indies again collapsed to end the day on 28 for three, still needing 166 runs before they can make the Lions bat again.
Left-handed opener Kieran Powell was not out on eight and was partnered by Darren Bravo who is yet to score.
The match is the final warm-up before the first Test which starts at Lord’s next Thursday.
West Indies: 147 and 28 for three
England Lions: 341 (M. Carberry 32, I. Bell 29, J. Taylor 118, J. Bairstow 50, J. Dernbach 28 not out, F. Edfwards 2 for 79, R. Rampaul 3 for 79, K. Roach 3 for 90, S. Shillingford 2 for 75) .
- Injury concerns for West Indies after loss to Lions - May 14, 2012
- Rampaul rues Windies' lack of killer instinct - May 12, 2012
- Bravo sparkles but Windies collapse against Lions - May 11, 2012
- Bell part of Lions squad to face Windies - May 06, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- Eyes on struggling Windies pace duo ahead of Lord's Test - May 15, 2012
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- West Indies look for confidence booster in tour match - Jun 02, 2012
- Windies seam attack fully fit for Lord's opener - May 16, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Sammy's half-century in vain as Aussies wrap up series - Apr 28, 2012
- Injury prone Jerome Taylor to play in SPL - Jul 06, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Windies rally but facing huge task to beat Aussies - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: bairstow, captain james, carberry, collapse, fast bowlers, fidel edwards, first test, hook, j taylor, james taylor, kemar, kieran, lions, northampton england, roach, shane, speedster, wantage road, west indies, wickets