Bert van Marwijk extend Netherlands’ contract until 2016December 9th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Dec 9 (IANS) Bert van Marwijk has extended his contract as head coach of the Netherlands football team for four years until 2016.
The 59-year-old former coach of Feyenoord and Borussia Dortmund will lead the ‘Oranje’ until the 2016 European Championships. Van Marwijk succeeded Marco van Basten in 2008 and led the Netherlands to the World Cup final in 2010.
Under his guidance the Dutch team played 45 international matches, in which they scored 97 times and conceded 33 goals. The Netherlands won 31 of these encounters, drew ten times and lost four matches.
“I am very pleased,” said Van Marwijk on the website of the Dutch football association (KNVB). “I have often said I’m very happy with the KNVB.”
Van Marwijk agreed to extend for four years instead of two years. “The association wants continuity,” he said. “If I am having a good feeling, it makes sense to stay longer. That was the case.”
Van Marwijk’s stay until 2016 also depends on the interest of European top clubs. He might decide to leave if a dream offer would occur.
“I have the space, if there is a ‘chance of my lifetime’, to decide. We have made good arrangements on that,” he concluded.
- Van Gaal to coach Dutch national team - Jul 07, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Dutch delight in boring Bert - Jun 17, 2010
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Van Basten named new coach of SC Heerenveen - Feb 14, 2012
- Brazilian footballer gets Dutch passport - Nov 03, 2011
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Dutch looking to paint South Africa orange (Team Profile) - Nov 28, 2009
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Can the highly talented Dutch finally win World Cup? (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Will Van Persie find scoring touch in World Cup final? - Jul 07, 2010
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: bert van marwijk, borussia dortmund, continuity, dutch football association, dutch team, feyenoord, football team, former coach, guidance, hague, head coach, knvb, lifetime, marco van basten, netherlands, oranje, top clubs, world cup