Berdych joins Federer in anti-Hawk-Eye clubJanuary 27th, 2009 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 27 (DPA) Tomas Berdych has joined Roger Federer in slamming the Hawk-Eye electronic line-calling system after its failure struck him at a key moment in his losing fourth-round match to the Swiss star at the Australian Open.It’s no secret that traditionalist Federer has never been a fan of the system - and his poor record on challenges proves that point.
But the system really caught Berdych at a bad time when it failed to function on a challenge he made - likely because of a deep shadow over one side of the court in late afternoon.
So, instead of proving a call right or wrong, the electronic glitch meant that the call stood, with Berdych erupting as he led two sets to one with the tide starting to turn.
“If they bring some new system (in) and (it) doesn’t work, why should it be on the courts?” said Berdych. “He (chair umpire) can tell you whatever he wants. Hawk-Eye should be working.”
Federer agreed: “What do I think about it? It’s horrible. Finally one guy (Berdych) understood.
“I don’t think you win or lose a match because of them. If it’s nine-all in the fifth set, you got to use it and there’s a terrible call because the lines-person was sleeping and the umpire was drinking coffee, of course then it’s good you have it.
“With a system like this is in place, it shouldn’t happen, right?”
Federer’s record with the system is among the worst in the game with 19 challenges at the Open with just four correct so far.
- Hawk-Eye debuts at Chennai Open - Jan 04, 2011
- Federer for goal-line technology in football - Jun 28, 2010
- Ball-tracking firm Hawk-Eye goes to Sony - Mar 08, 2011
- Player questions Hawk-Eye accuracy at Australian Open - Jan 26, 2009
- Shame that Hawk-Eye is not being used: Swann (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Shame that DRS won't be available for India series: Swann - Jul 19, 2011
- 2012 Australian Open to be richest Grand Slam - Oct 04, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- ICC guidelines on lbw review - Mar 07, 2011
- Shastri, Hussain in war of words over DRS - Jul 31, 2011
- DRS back in spotlight in India-England series - Jul 31, 2011
- Federer to take on Tsonga in Paris final - Nov 13, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Berdych saves match point, clinches deciding tiebreak against Tipsarevic - Nov 24, 2011
- My game has matured: Berdych - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,