Benitez will have 64 million pounds to battle Man U, sign BarryMay 10th, 2009 - 4:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 10 (ANI): Liverpool coach Rafa Benitez will have a 64 million pounds war chest to battle Manchester United and top of his summer agenda is to finally tie up an eight million pounds deal to bring Gareth Barry to Anfield when the season ends.
He will then off-load up to 11 squad players to cover the Barry deal and to generate more funds to compete in the transfer market.
With Xabi Alonso earmarked for an 18 million pounds switch to Manchester City, it leaves the way open for Benitez to keep his promise to Barry.
The Aston Villa and England star will tell his current manager Martin O’Neill to honour his pledge to sell him to Liverpool before the end of this month, News of the World reports.
Barry has told friends he is determined to move to Merseyside after Villa’s failure to qualify for the Champions League.
When a deal collapsed last season, Benitez assured Barry that he would be back for him and he is keeping his promise. And Benitez wants Barry signed quickly to avoid the wrangles of last summer.
Barry has just a year left on his current deal and also feels Villa owe him the chance to move on after he committed to a final season in the Midlands.
Villa boss O’Neill has already conceded he is powerless to stop Barry leaving this time - although the fee could yet prove a sticking point in talks. (ANI)
- Aston Villa rejects Man City's 25-mn pound bid for Milner - May 20, 2010
- Aston Villa asks Man City to pay 30-million pounds for Milner - Jul 27, 2010
- Liverpool to stun Man U by snatching Carlos Tevez - May 17, 2009
- Alonso reveals real reason behind his decision to quit Liverpool - Sep 03, 2009
- Aston Villa star Milner eager to join Manchester City - Jul 23, 2010
- Aston Villa's O'Neill favourite to replace Benitez - Nov 08, 2009
- Torres to quit if Liverpool fails to finish in top four - Dec 27, 2009
- Liverpool's Rafa to bid for Spanish striker David Villa - Aug 01, 2009
- Dutch stars Nistelrooy, van der Vaart could soon join Liverpool - Jan 02, 2010
- Chelsea joins Manchester City for Milner bid - May 21, 2010
- Real Madrid' set for spectacular 30-mn pound swoop for Steven Gerrard - Oct 24, 2009
- Tough task for Liverpool to keep Torres - May 04, 2010
- City snap up midfielder Barry - Jun 03, 2009
- Rafa Benitez's reign at Inter Milan coach over? - Dec 22, 2010
- 'In the dark' Benitez fears the worst for his Liverpool future - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: aston villa, boss, champions league, coach, england star, failure, honour, leaving this time, liverpool, manchester city, manchester united, martin o neill, news of the world, pledge, rafa benitez, sticking point, summer agenda, war chest, wrangles, xabi alonso