Bengal sports minister defends DalmiyaMarch 26th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, March 26 (IANS) West Bengal Sports Minister Subhas Chakroborty Wednesday termed the defalcation charges brought against former Indian cricket board president Jagmohan Dalmiya as “baseless” and a ploy to harass him. “Not a single charge against Dalmiya is acceptable and it is not for the first time that he has been subjected to harassment,” Chakraborty said.
Mumbai Police filed a charge-sheet against Dalmiya Wednesday for allegedly misappropriating Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) funds to the tune of Rs.29 million.
Dalmiya was arrested in Mumbai Wednesday and immediately released on bail of Rs.25,000.
“The charges are baseless and untrue. It is just a ploy to harass him,” said Chakroborty, known to be close to Dalmiya.
The maverick minister has come out in support of Dalmiya time and again. He even went against West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadev Bhattacharjee’s nominee Prasun Mukherjee to support Dalmiya for the election to the post of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president in 2006.
Asked if the state government would allow the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) to hold matches at the Eden Garden here, Chakraborty said: “If they want, we will give them the ground. We are not loyal servants of the BCCI.”
- Dalmiya all set to continue unchallenged as CAB chief - Jul 27, 2010
- Dalmiya re-elected CAB president - Jul 28, 2012
- CAB trying to rope in Kapil as bowling consultant - Jul 28, 2012
- Sunil Gavaskar not part of new IPL Governing Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Apex court spares Pawar trial for perjury, but wants fresh probe - Mar 17, 2010
- BCCI's agenda against Dalmiya behind Eden fiasco: Kapil - Feb 14, 2011
- No word of praise enough for Tendulkar: Dalmiya - Mar 16, 2012
- Former BCCI chief P.M. Rungta passes away (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Eden Gardens WC fiasco: Pranab Mukherjee to meet Sharad Pawar - Jan 30, 2011
- Vengsarkar, Shiny Wilson presented lifetime achievement awards - Apr 27, 2012
- Eden to host a T20 and an ODI - Feb 24, 2011
- ICC refuses to grant India-England match to Eden (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- BJP's Shahnawaz Hussain appeals to ICC to reconsider Eden - Feb 01, 2011
- Sunil Gavaskar dropped from IPL Governing Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Dalmiya has a challenger in Samar Pal for top CAB post - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: bhattacharjee, board president, chakraborty, chief minister, cricket association of bengal, cricket league, defalcation, eden garden, harassment, india bcci, indian cricket board, jagmohan dalmiya, loyal servants, maverick, ploy, Sports, state government, west bengal