Bengal hockey chief wants early IHF electionFebruary 25th, 2009 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) Wednesday said it had the support of a majority of state bodies to persuade the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to hold elections to the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) at the earliest.
BHA president J.B. Roy told reporters here that he has been authorised by 28 state associations to meet the IOA officials and ask for an early election.
“The IHF has been suspended and the matter is pending in the court. Due to the legal tussle, the affairs of Indian hockey are moving in a sluggish way. That is the reason why BHA and other state associations have taken it upon themselves to improve the state of the game in the country,” he said.
While parading all the 28 representatives of different state associations, Roy said that he and other members will meet the IOA officials and request them to start the process of election.
“We have waited for nearly a year now. IOA president Suresh Kalmadi promised to hold the election as soon as possible but nothing has been done.”
Roy also refuted IOA’s claim that elections cannot be held till the case filed by sacked IHF chief K.P.S. Gill is settled in the Delhi High court.
“There is no bar in holding elections. KPS Gill has filed a case challenging his dismissal as the IHF president. What has it got to do with election,” he said.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- Shetty elected new IHF president - Dec 20, 2010
- Maken gives HI, IHF a blueprint for merger - Jun 11, 2011
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- No question of recognising IHF again, says FIH official - Aug 07, 2010
- J.B. Roy led hockey faction flexes its muscles - Jun 15, 2009
- High court asks IOA to follow code in next poll - Sep 13, 2012
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- Sports ministry calls HI and IHF to form unified hockey body - Jun 09, 2011
- State hockey units up in arms over new set-up - Jun 04, 2009
Tags: asian news, bengal, bha, delhi high court, elections, hockey association, hockey chief, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indo, legal tussle, New Delhi, news service, state associations, state bodies, state of the game, vm