Bengal gives Rs.5 lakh to Sushmita RoyJune 3rd, 2011 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 3 (IANS) The West Bengal government Friday gave Rs.5 lakh to star athlete Susmita Singha Roy to ensure she does not migrate to some other state.
“Susmita had expressed a wish to leave Bengal and settle in Jharkhand hoping to get better opportunity. Hearing the news we called Sushmita and her coach and persuaded her to change her mind. She has assured us she will not leave Bengal,” said Sports Minister Madan Mitra.
Susmita, the Beijing Olympian and national heptathlon champion, had expressed a desire to shift base to Jharkhand to prepare herself for next year’s London Olympics.
“Heptathlon is a traditional event. It is costly. The previous government (Left Front) did nothing to ensure she continued her pet event. I have spoken to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and she asked me to go all out to help Susmita, so that she doesn’t leave Bengal,” said Mitra.
Mitra said other athletes who have migrated to other states would also be persuaded to return to West Bengal.
- Bengal gives Rs.500,000 to athlete Sushmita Singha Roy - Jun 03, 2011
- Mamata takes the limelight on Bengal budget day - Mar 23, 2012
- When Mamata turned chief manager in face of tragedy - Dec 10, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: Pramila wins bronze, Sushmita fourth in heptathlon - Nov 23, 2010
- Keep away from Feb 28 strike, Mamata tells unorganised sector - Feb 25, 2012
- Trinamool workers canvass door-to-door for 'Didi' - Sep 11, 2011
- Bengal rewards its National Games heroes - Jun 19, 2011
- Para-athlete Prasanta Karmakar lashes out at Bengal, Railways - Jul 30, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's mother dies (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Professor, neighbour arrested for Mamata cartoon (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Mamata doesn't turn up at Chidambaram event - Feb 18, 2012
- Suchitra Sen, Leslie Claudius conferred 'Banga Vibhusan' award - May 20, 2012
- Trinamool MPs to meet PM Tuesday over petrol prices - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: banerjee, beijing, champion, chief minister, coach, desire, heptathlon, june 3, kolkata, lakh, london olympics, madan, mitra, olympics, pet event, singha, star athlete, sushmita roy, susmita, west bengal government