Bengal beat Punjab to win Santosh Trophy for record 30th time (Lead)August 9th, 2010 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 8 (IANS) Bengal defeated Punjab 2-1 to win the 64th Santosh Trophy national football championship after 11 years here Sunday. It was a record 30th win for Bengal.
Denson Devadas scored two goals for Bengal after Balwant Singh had given the lead to Punjab in the 30th minute.
The hosts came back, cheered by 15,000 fans at the Salt Lake Stadium, as Devadas struck twice (45+2nd, 78th minute) to romp home.
Bengal has never lost a Santosh Trophy at home.
Eight-time winners Punjab fell short of winning their third title in four years.
Bengal dominated from the start, but it was Punjab who took the lead against the run of play as Balwant headed home a Rahul Kumar cross from the right.
Devadas then levelled, scoring in the second minute of the added time with a sharp header off a Snehashis Chakraborty corner.
Bengal dictated the course of play in the second half as Snehashis made incisive moves and Devadas, Jayanta Sen and Dhanarajan manned the midfield. They combined well and came close to scoring, before Devadas struck a scorching left-footer from 25 yards to seal the issue.
“This is a memorable day in my career. I want to savour the moment,” said Devadas, who was adjudged the Man of the Match.
“The players and coach Sabbir Ali deserve all the credit the way the team played in the tournament. It was not easy to play five matches in eight days,” the Keralite added.
Ali praised the players for the fine victory.
“Bengal players were left out from the national team probables list despite some of them like Snehashis and Arnab Mondal doing consistently well in the I-League. Hopefully, their performance will not go unnoticed after this victory,” he said.
- Santosh Trophy: Bengal to meet Punjab in final (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Chirag United held by Indian Arrows in I-League - Feb 11, 2011
- Bengal in Santosh Trophy final beating title holders Goa - Aug 06, 2010
- Prayag in semi-final of Fed Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Santosh Trophy: Goa, Services win - Jul 31, 2010
- Services beat Tamil Nadu to win Santosh Trophy - May 28, 2012
- Santosh Trophy: Punjab, Manipur score big wins - Jul 16, 2010
- Punjab, Manipur pick up big wins in Santosh trophy - Jul 16, 2010
- Advantage Mumbai in Vijay Hazare Trophy final - Mar 11, 2012
- Silva's hat-trick in Chirag United 5-0 win over IAF - Nov 02, 2010
- Santosh Trophy: Mizoram stun Kerala 1-0 - Jul 28, 2010
- Real Madrid steer seven points clear of Barcelona - Jan 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: France get quarterfinal with 2-0 Sweden loss - Jun 20, 2012
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: 11 years, added time, ali, balwant singh, bengal, denson, devadas, eight days, keralite, left footer, match, midfield, mondal, national football championship, play five, rahul, romp, salt lake, santosh trophy, time winners