Bendtner’s hat-trick sends Arsenal into quarter-finalsMarch 10th, 2010 - 5:28 am ICT by IANS
London, March 10 (DPA) Nicklas Bendtner scored a superb hat-trick as Arsenal produced a virtuoso performance to crush Porto 5-0 to storm into the quarter-finals of the Champions League Tuesday.
Trailing 2-1 from the first leg in Portugal, two goals from Bendtner put them in front and after Samir Nasri and Emmanuel Eboue had also scored, Bendtner completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to seal their place in the last eight.
“It’s fantastic - it’s been a long time waiting to get a hat-trick so I’m very pleased,” Bendtner said.
“It didn’t happen for me on Saturday but I put that behind me and today I put it right. As a club, we are desperate to win the Champions League and we will do all we can to do that this year.”
It was a fantastic performance from an Arsenal side who were missing their inspirational captain Cesc Fabregas.
Nasri, Tomas Rosicky and Abou Diaby were all at their most dominant and once Bendtner had put them ahead, the visitors never had a chance.
The Dane had missed a hatful of chances for Arsenal in the Premier League at the weekend but he made no mistake on 10 minutes when he finished easily after some last-gasp defending only resulted in the ball being played into his path.
On 25 minutes, it was 2-0 and Arsenal were ahead on aggregate as Andrey Arshavin turned the defence inside and out before Bendtner finished it off.
Nasri put the game away from Porto with the third goal on 63 minutes and Eboue scored three minutes later.
Arsenal continued to attack as the clock wound down and after Eboue was fouled by Jorge Fucile, Bendtner put the resulting penalty into the corner to complete a great night for himself and Arsenal.
- Lifting players' spirit ahead of clash with Barca difficult: Wenger - Mar 29, 2010
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- Wenger salutes genius Messi after Barcelona downs Arsenal 4-1 - Apr 07, 2010
- Arshavin out of Arsenal's Champions League squad - Sep 18, 2012
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Drogba double takes Chelsea back to summit - Feb 08, 2010
- Bendtner confident of keeping Arsenal's Champions League title bid alive - Apr 04, 2010
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Pazzini's hat-trick helps Milan beat Bologna - Sep 02, 2012
- Arsenal can win Champions League: Bendtner - Mar 10, 2010
- Arsenal's Wenger says UK Premier League title race not over - Apr 11, 2011
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany beat Japan to win Algarve Cup - Mar 08, 2012
- Manchester City draw in Premier League - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: abou diaby, aggregate, arsenal, champions league, dpa, emmanuel eboue, fabregas, hat trick, inspirational captain, jorge fucile, last gasp, london march, nicklas bendtner, porto, premier league, quarter finals, samir nasri, three minutes, tomas rosicky, virtuoso performance