Bellucci wins second Gstaad titleJuly 22nd, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Gstaad (Switzerland), July 22 (IANS) Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci won the Credit Agricole Suisse Open Gstaad trophy for the second time Sunday as he upset top seed Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 in the final.
The Brazilian won his first ATP World Tour title as a qualifier at the same venue in 2009 defeating German Andreas Beck.
“Gstaad is very special for me because I won my first title here three years ago, which was a surprise and unexpected,” Bellucci was quoted as saying by the official ATP website.
“For me to win one more time here is very special. I feel very comfortable here, like I’m playing at home.”
The world number eight Tipsarevic was bidding to win his second ATP title in as many weeks, having won his first clay-court crown last week at the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart.
In his third meeting with Tipsarevic, Bellucci avenged the defeat he suffered in last week’s Stuttgart semi-finals by rallying from a set down to clinch victory in two hours and 24 minutes. He converted five of his 11 break points and struck 10 aces, limiting Tipsarevic to just six points on his serve in the final set.
“It was very tough losing the tie-break, having led 6-1,” reflected the world number 60.
“On the set points I was too nervous. I miss-hit a lot of balls and I was very disappointed. I was very focussed after this, which was the key of the match, because if I had lost serve at the start of the second set it would have been very difficult to win.”
- Indian Wells: Federer to face Del Potro in quarters - Mar 15, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Chaennai Open: Raonic conquers Tipsarevic for title - Jan 09, 2012
- It's all about my serve: Raonic - Jan 09, 2012
- Bopanna-Aisam duo sails into Shanghai quarter-finals - Oct 15, 2010
- Spain's Nicolas Almagro wins Brazil Open - Feb 20, 2012
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Tipsarevic survives Nishikori scare - Jan 08, 2011
- Berdych seals semis berth in World Tour Finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Bopanna-Vliegen in Atlanta Tennis Championship final - Jul 25, 2010
- Bhupathi-Bopanna win Dubai Open title - Mar 03, 2012
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Soderling gets into Stockholm semi-finals - Oct 24, 2009
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Stockholm Open - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: aces, andreas beck, atp website, atp world tour, balls, break points, clay court, credit agricole, gstaad, janko tipsarevic, match, mercedes cup, number eight, playing at home, second time, semi finals, six points, suisse, trophy, venue