Bellucci only Brazilian in Olympics tennis singlesJune 27th, 2012 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janerio, June 27 (IANS) Thomaz Bellucci will be Brazil’s sole singles representative at the London Olympics, the Brazilian Tennis Confederation (CBT) announced.
The World No.76 received a wildcard for the singles draw at the All-England Club and will pair up with Andre Sa in the doubles, Xinhua reports. Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares will also compete in the doubles event.
“I’ m very happy with the news,” Bellucci said, hours after being eliminated from Wimbledon with a straight-sets loss to world No.2 Rafael Nadal in the opening round.
Bellucci’ s inclusion continues Brazil’ s record of having at least one representative in the men’ s draw since tennis was reinstated as an Olympic sport in 1988 after a 64-year absence.
Brazil has never won an Olympic tennis medal. Fernando Meligeni went closest at the 1996 Games in Atlanta when he lost the bronze medal playoff against India’s Leander Paes.
- Brazil, Colombia battle for Davis Cup playoff - Apr 06, 2012
- Brazil makes world group playoffs in Davis Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- Davis Cup: Paes-Bhupathi keep Indian hopes alive - Sep 18, 2010
- A very special Davis Cup tie: Leander - Sep 14, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Sania tears apart AITA, doesn't spare Paes and Bhupathi (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- AITA picks two teams for Olympics, Paes still unhappy (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- U.S. Open: Paes-Stepanek in third round - Sep 01, 2012
- Somdev, Bopanna power India to Davis Cup World Group - Sep 19, 2010
- Davis Cup: Somdev goes down to Ricardo Mello, India trail 0-2 - Sep 17, 2010
- Wimbledon: Sania-Bhupathi lose, Paes-Stepanek surge ahead (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympics: Lucky Vardhan to play tennis singles too - Jul 29, 2012
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati final - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: bronze medal, bruno soares, cbt, confederation, england club, fernando meligeni, june 27, leander paes, london olympics, marcelo, melo, olympic sport, olympic tennis, olympics, rafael nadal, rio de janerio, straight sets, wildcard, wimbledon, xinhua