Bell hits maiden double-century as England move to 591/6 (Lunch report)August 20th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 20 (IANS) Ian Bell stroked a maiden double century as England progressed to a massive 591/6 in their first innings at lunch on the third day of the fourth and last cricket Test against India at The Oval here Saturday.
Bell (235, 364b, 23×4, 2×6), resuming at 181 overnight, glanced Shantakumaran Sreesanth for his 20th four to bring up his 200 and to go past his previous best of 194 against South Africa at Lord’s in 2009. He is also the third England bastman, after Kevin Pietersen and Alastair Cook, to score a double hundred in the series.
Bell was eventually dismissed by Suresh Raina, trapped leg before going for a sweep, and he walked off to a standing ovation.
India picked two early wickets through Sreesanth (3-123), but once again failed to keep up the pressure.
At the luncheon break, Ravi Bopara was batting on 44 and Matt Prior 18 with England eyeing yet another record of scoring 600 plus in consecutive innings. Rain, however, has extended the lunch break. The first day of the match had to be abandoned after lunch.
Sreesanth was the pick of the Indian bowlers, running in with purpose. He dismissed nightwatchman James Anderson 20 minutes after resumption of play. The fast bowler edged to Virender Sehwag at second slip and Sreesanth gave him a long, hard stare as he left the crease.
The fast bowler soon accounted for Eoin Morgan, who is named England skipper for the One-Day International against Ireland. Sreesanth, bowling from wide of the crease, lured Morgan into a drive and the edge carried to wicket-keeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Morgan’s dismissal brought in Bopara who looked nervy at the start, but settled down hitting three boundaries.
- India facing a series whitewash (Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Second Test: Bell leads England's charge (Lunch report) - Jul 31, 2011
- Bell, Pietersen punish ragged India (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Bell survives bizarre run out to guide England (Tea report) - Jul 31, 2011
- England take control of second Test (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
- Pacers put India on top (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2011
- Cook powers England to 422-run lead over India (Tea report) - Aug 12, 2011
- India pin England down to 124/8 (Tea report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Dravid scores century, India falter again (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- India will go into third Test with No.1 Test ranking at stake - Aug 09, 2011
- Peterson, Tahir bowl England out for 171 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Cook's marathon 294 shut India out of Edgbaston Test (Roundup) - Aug 13, 2011
- Cook scores ton, England continue to dominate (Tea report) - Aug 11, 2011
- Bravo sparkles but Windies collapse against Lions - May 11, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. England, Fourth Test, Day Three - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: 2x6, alastair cook, crease, cricket test, dhoni, double century, england skipper, eoin, indian bowlers, james anderson, kevin pietersen, lunch report, luncheon, nightwatchman, resumption, sehwag, standing ovation, third day, wicket keeper, wickets