Belarus still recognises Ostapchuk as Olympic champion: ministerAugust 14th, 2012 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Minsk, Aug 14 (IANS) Belarus still recognises female shot putter Nadezhda Ostapchuk as an Olympic champion, Deputy Sports and Tourism Minister of Belarus Cheslav Shulga has said.
“Some mistake or misunderstanding may have happened. We still recognise Nadezhda Ostapchuk as our Olympic champion,” Shulga told reporters Monday.
“Let’s wait for the official decision of the International Olympic Committee. The Belarusian side will not take an action for now,” Shulga said, confirming the fact that Ostapchuk went through a drug test July 30 and came clean, reports Xinhua.
Earlier, the International Olympic Committee said Ostapchuk tested positive for the steroid metenolone.
“The Olympic Committee of Belarus is ordered to return to the IOC, as soon as possible, the medal, diploma and medallist pin awarded to the athlete in relation to the above-noted event,” the IOC said in a statement.
Shulga refused to link the event to the scandal involving the disqualification of another Belarusian athlete, Ivan Tikhon.
“The decision on Tikhon was unethical and wrong. I refuse to believe that the Olympic movement has political connections. But facts state otherwise,” he added.
Earlier, the Belarusian team sent home hammer thrower Tsikhan because of suspicions over a sample provided after his silver-medal performance at the 2004 Athens Games.
- Belarus shot putter Ostapchuk banned for one year - Sep 11, 2012
- Belarus' Ostapchuk stripped of gold for doping - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Belarus denies boycott rumours - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic shot put: Ostapchuk wins gold for Belarus - Aug 07, 2012
- IOC, London organisers deny banning Belarus president - Jul 25, 2012
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- IOC respects Lukashenko ban: Rogge - Jul 27, 2012
- Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden - Aug 11, 2012
- IOC to investigate coaches' role in badminton scandal - Aug 02, 2012
- Lukashenko denied accreditation to Olympics: Britain - Jul 26, 2012
- Belarus to build vertical takeoff drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-president - Sep 06, 2012
- India to boost cooperation with Belarus in IT - Aug 15, 2012
- Belarusian President Lukashenko says Minsk bombing case is solved - Apr 14, 2011
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,