Belarus’ Ostapchuk stripped of gold for dopingAugust 13th, 2012 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 13 (IANS) Belarus’ Nadzeya Ostapchuk was stripped of the women’s shot put gold medal at the London Games after she failed a drug test, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced Monday.
The IOC said in the statement that Ostapchuk was tested positive on both urine samples, indicating the presence of metenolone, which is classified as anabolic agent under the 2012 Prohibited List, Xinhua reports.
Metenolone is used to build muscle mass and help reduce fatigue, among other potentially performance-enhancing effects.
Valerie Adams of New Zealand, who finished second to Ostapchuk, was promoted to gold, while Yevgeniya Kolodko of Russia and Gong Lijiao of China took silver and bronze respectively.
Ostapchuk, 31, won the shot put by 21.36 metres, 66 centimetres better than Adams’ best mark.
The results raised speculation of doping as Britain’s men’s shot put competitor Brett Morse hinted on Twitter that Ostapchuk was using illegal drugs. The tweet was deleted soon after.
In the past few years, Adams was dominating in the discipline, beating Ostapchuk several times.
Ostapchuk won the World Championship in 2005, but finished runner-up behind Adams in both 2009 and 2011 and took bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- Belarus shot putter Ostapchuk banned for one year - Sep 11, 2012
- Olympic shot put: Ostapchuk wins gold for Belarus - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Belarus still recognises Ostapchuk as Olympic champion: minister - Aug 14, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- Powell edged out but Walker posts world-leading time - May 12, 2012
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
- IOC denies Thanou sprint gold - Dec 10, 2009
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Perfect Hancock grabs 2nd Olympic gold in skeet - Jul 31, 2012
- Armstrong won't contest doping charges, to lose titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Norway's Larsen takes Kayak sprint gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic modern penthathon: Svoboda wins gold for Czechs - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, competitor, drug test, fatigue, gold medal, gong, illegal drugs, international olympic committee, ioc, kolodko, london games, morse, muscle mass, several times, speculation, tweet, twitter, urine samples, valerie adams, xinhua