Becks to play charity matches for California wildfire victimsNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:02 am ICT by admin
The proceeds from the sale of the match’s tickets will go towards the victims of the raging fires, which has seen more than one million people evacuated and 1,800 homes lost.
Galaxy is chalking out strategies with American soccer club Hollywood United to draw in the crowds.
Several big names like actors Vinnie, Jason Statham and Anthony Lapaglia, ‘Sex Pistols’ guitarist Steve Jones and former French international Frank Leboeuf are attached with Hollywood United.
The speculations are rife that Beckham and his teammates may also play a game against LA Vale, owned and run by pop star Robbie Williams.
“We have something in the pipeline and will be announcing the details shortly,” the Sun quoted a spokesman for Galaxy as saying.
A team insider, however, said that Beckhams proposed the charity match after seeing the devastation as fires raged across 490,000 acres in southern California.
“The team wanted to do something to help after seeing the wildfires on the TV. The MLS soccer season has finished so they were free to play a match and all thought it would be a great idea to do one for charity,” the insider said.
“They wanted to assist as the fires are on their doorstep and there are lots of money-raising events and donations going on. David particularly wanted to help. He has been watching the fires on TV and was stunned at the devastation,” he added.
The source also said that Beckham was hoping to raise a lot of money through the charity match.
“He hasn’t played a lot this season and has been sidelined because of his ankle and his knee and was disappointed that he hasn’t been able to play many matches,” he said.
“But he is looking forward to playing the charity match and getting back on the pitch. And he hopes they raise a lot of money for the victims,” he added. (ANI)
- Beckham planning 'LA Galaxy-Man U' charity match to raise one million pound - Aug 22, 2010
- Bieber plans to own soccer team - Jul 13, 2012
- Beckham likely to make his Spurs debut against Man U - Jan 08, 2011
- David Beckham wins the MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award - Nov 15, 2011
- David Beckham gets 'love' tattoo on his hand - Oct 10, 2011
- Beckham will play on until he is 45, says LA Galaxy coach - Aug 08, 2010
- Beckham keeping playing options open - Apr 13, 2011
- Beckham wants to buy soccer team - Jul 31, 2011
- David & Victoria Beckham worth 165 million pounds - May 05, 2011
- Vinnie Jones wants comedy roles - Jan 25, 2011
- Beckham's Porsche is on sale on eBay - Jan 08, 2011
- Becks to miss the Royal wedding? - Feb 25, 2011
- Beckham branded a 'selfish pig' by Los Angeles Galaxy fan - Jan 03, 2011
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Beckham's European loan move in jeopardy over TV deal - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: american soccer club, anthony lapaglia, beckham, california wildfire, california wildfires, charity, club hollywood, devastation, disappointed, frank leboeuf, galaxy, hasn, insider, jason statham, lots of money, match, mls soccer, sex pistols, soccer season, watching the fires