Becks to host Kick-Off Celebration gig of World Cup?March 23rd, 2010 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 23 (ANI): English footballer David Beckham may host the Kick-Off Celebration concert in South Africa on the first night of the World Cup.
Beckham, 34, who had to stay out of the tournament due to injury, is said to have been invited to be a major presenter of the huge music show on June 10 in Soweto, Johannesburg.
Kevin Wall, the organiser of the concert, has only hinted publicly that football stars will be taking part in the show.
“We are using soccer icons throughout the show. We will have some major celebrities acting as hosts,” the Sun quoted him as saying.
“We have just started negotiations with a famous UK footballer who is now not playing in the World Cup,” he stated.
The concert, at the 40,000-capacity Orlando Stadium, near where Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu grew up, will star Alicia Keys, Black Eyed Peas and Shakira and is expected to have a global audience of more than one billion. (ANI)
- Mandela's great-granddaughter killed in car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- David Beckham pops in for tea with Desmond Tutu - Jun 18, 2010
- Euphoric World Cup opening tinged with Mandela tragedy - Jun 11, 2010
- Mandela will attend World Cup opening game - Jun 03, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great granddaughter killed in a car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- Grieving Mandela won't attend opening World Cup match - Jun 11, 2010
- Future dim for South Africa's World Cup stadia - Jul 09, 2010
- Freeman, Theron among celebs to attend World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
- Mandela brought World Cup to South Africa - Jun 10, 2010
- Nelson Mandela's great-granddaughter killed in car crash after World Cup concert - Jun 11, 2010
- Shakira's 'Waka Waka' official song for World Cup - Apr 29, 2010
- Football World Cup begins officially - Jun 11, 2010
- Mandela still undecided about attending opening game - Jun 10, 2010
- FIFA and Sony select Shakira song as FIFA World Cup 2010 Official Song - Apr 27, 2010
- Mandela won't attend World Cup opening ceremony (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: alicia keys, black eyed peas, celebration concert, david beckham, desmond tutu, first night, football stars, footballer david beckham, gig, global audience, huge music, johannesburg, music show, negotiations, nelson mandela, one billion, shakira, south africa, soweto, world cup