Beckhams AC Milan debut draws praise, cynicism from Italian mediaJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 12 (ANI): Ace England midfielder David Beckhams first appearance for Italian club AC Milan drew both praise and cynicism in the countrys media today.
The England midfielder made a surprise start and played almost the entire game in AC Milans 2-2 draw at Roma.
Gazzetta dello Sport gave Beckham a six out of 10 in its game ratings, and offered a humorous remark about the loan signing from the LA Galaxy, The Independent reported.
He played for 90 minutes, which no-one expected, the Milan-based publication said.
But nothing to show as a replay for a Pepsi ad. However, he sacrifices, he crosses, he strikes, helps with humility. As his first Serie A appearance, he did just enough, it added.
Corriere dello Sport highlighted the performances of goalscorers Mirko Vucinic and Alexandre Pato.
You expect Beckham and you find Vucinic and Pato, said the paper.
On the night of the Serie A debut of the English star, its the Montenegrin (Vucinic) and the Brazilian (Pato) that decide with a brace apiece.
National newspaper Corriere della Sera focused on Beckhams physical condition.
Beckham plays, Pato scores. The six-star Milan (Kaka, Ronaldinho, Pato, Clarence Seedorf, Andrea Pirlo and Beckham) draws at Roma. The Spice Boy stays on the pitch for almost 91 minutes, the paper said. (ANI)
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Juventus rout Fiorentina 5-0, close in on Milan - Mar 18, 2012
- Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over Udinese - Feb 05, 2010
- Beckham arrives for new season in Milan - Dec 29, 2009
- Corinthians chasing AC Milan striker Pato - Apr 25, 2012
- Chinese club prepares huge offer for Kaka? - Jun 28, 2012
- Pirlo penalty reminds me of Totti, says De Rossi - Jun 25, 2012
- We are in the G8 of sport: Italian Olympic panel chief - Aug 14, 2012
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- Brazil to play three strikers at Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Ronaldinho ready to face former Milan teammate Seedorf - Aug 18, 2012
- AC Milan's Pato injured - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: ac milan, andrea pirlo, clarence seedorf, cynicism, first appearance, game ratings, gazzetta dello sport, humility, italian club, italian media, kaka, la galaxy, london jan, midfielder, mirko vucinic, montenegrin, pepsi, replay, ronaldinho, spice boy