Beckham persuaded me to join Real Madrid: KakaJune 9th, 2009 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 9 (IANS) Brazilian playmaker Kaka says it was his former AC Milan team mate David Beckham who persuaded him to sign up for Real Madrid.
“I can officially say I’m a Real Madrid player. My professional link with AC Milan finishes now, but my sentimental link will never end,” the the English media quoted the 27-year-old as saying.
“I spoke to some friends, like Beckham, who has already played for Real. He said it’s a fantastic place to play. I spoke to him this past week and he kept helping me, he said I made a positive choice for my career’s growth.
“Real Madrid intend to build a great team, with historic players such as Raul and Iker Casillas. We will make history again, both in Spain and Europe. I guess the sport project is very good,” said Kaka, who turned down a big offer from Manchester City earlier this year.
“Manchester City and Real Madrid are two different clubs with different situations. At that time (January), it was mid-season, I had a strong emotional impact due to the Italian fans requesting me to stay, and I decided to stay,” he said.
Kaka also added that the economic downturn also helped him to make a quick decision.
“Now another chance came up and AC Milan is in a big crisis (financially). For me, the sporting project (at Madrid) is interesting and will be an important boost to continue my career in the highest level.
“I wanted to stay on at Milan, but the world (financial) crisis affected a lot of clubs, especially those like Milan which are businesses. So then, I spoke with the Milan directors and we reached the conclusion that the best thing for everybody would be to sell.”
Kaka also revealed that new Real president Florentino Perez has been busy “making contact” with potential targets as he looks to revive his ‘Galacticos’ project.
In Perez’s previous stint with the club, he oversaw the acquisitions of global stars like Luis Figo, Ronaldo and David Beckham, as well as Zidane.
- Return of Perez raises expectations at Real Madrid - May 30, 2009
- Becks convinced me to join Real Madrid: Kaka - Jun 09, 2009
- Man City never big enough to bid for me: Kaka - Jun 28, 2009
- Real Madrid, AC Milan chiefs meet to decide Kaka's future - Aug 07, 2012
- Fans of Real Madrid asking for winter signings - Dec 03, 2009
- Ronaldo can be Beckham-style money machine for Real Madrid - May 31, 2009
- Kaka on Galaxy radar to replace Beckham - Aug 18, 2012
- Alcoholism nearly cost Cicinho his career - Aug 02, 2012
- Kaka ready to make major history at Real Madrid - Jun 09, 2009
- Milan want Kaka back on loan - Aug 27, 2012
- Zinedine Zidane won't say sorry to Materazzi: 'I'd rather die' - Mar 02, 2010
- Kaka's father in talks with AC Milan - Jun 25, 2012
- Mourinho retains doubt over his future - Mar 04, 2012
- Real Madrid's Perez claims Ronaldo will join club soon - May 30, 2009
- List of FIFA World Footballer of the Year since 1991 - Dec 22, 2009
Tags: ac milan, david beckham, economic downturn, emotional impact, fantastic place, financial crisis, global stars, italian fans, kaka, luis figo, manchester city, mid season, milan team, professional link, raul, real madrid player, ronaldo, sport project, stint, team mate