Beckham left out of Britain’s Olympic squadJune 28th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 28 (IANS) Former England captain David Beckham has been left out of the Great Britain Olympic football squad by head coach Stuart Pearce.
Beckham said: “Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me.”
“I would have been honoured to have been part of this unique Team GB squad. Like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold.”
According to the Times, Pearce, who watched Beckham play for LA Galaxy in the United States last week, has selected Manchester City defender Micah Richards ahead of him.
Beckham made coach Stuart Pearce’s shortlist of 35 players but was overlooked for the final 18-man squad as one of three players over the age of 23 allowed to compete in the Olympics, reported Xinhua.
Pearce rang Beckham Wednesday night to tell him he wanted more defensive cover in the squad. Richards has been included alongside Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs and Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy as the three over-age players.
Team GB have been drawn in Group A at London 2012 alongside Senegal, Uruguay and United Arab Emirates.
They play Senegal at Old Trafford July 26, the United Arab Emirates at Wembley July 29 and Uruguay at the Millennium Stadium August 1.
- Beckham backs Giggs as Britain Olympic team's skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Team Britain given tough football draw in Olympics - Apr 25, 2012
- Rooney won't play Euro 2012, Olympics: FA - Apr 22, 2012
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- Suarez, Cavani in Uruguay Olympic team - Jul 10, 2012
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- No favourites at London Olympics: Uruguayan football coach - Jul 10, 2012
- Beckham asked to prove his place in Olympics team - Oct 20, 2011
- Brazil outclass Britain in Olympic warm-up - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympic Football: Spain knocked out after loss to Honduras - Jul 30, 2012
- UAE football team trains in Switzerland for Olympics - Jul 07, 2012
- FIFA awards UAE win in Olympic qualifier - Feb 08, 2012
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: captain david, city defender, craig bellamy, england captain, football squad, head coach, london 2012, man squad, manchester city, micah richards, millennium stadium, old trafford, olympic football, olympic squad, ryan giggs, shortlist, stuart pearce, team gb, united arab emirates, xinhua