BCCI upset over Sri Lanka’s lifting of ban on ICL playersSeptember 19th, 2008 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) The Indian cricket board is irked at its Sri Lankan counterpart’s decision to allow rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) players turn out for domestic tournaments and will take up the matter with the International Cricket Council (ICC), an official said.The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) decision has surprised the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which was instrumental in persuading the other cricket boards to ban ICL players.
“We have come to know about it (lifting of ban). It is very strange. We have not spoken to the Sri Lankan cricket board till now. But will take up this issue with the ICC,” BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told IANS Friday.
SLC spokesman Shane Fernando said the decision to revoke the ban was taken at the interim committee meeting chaired by its chairman Arjuna Ranatunga in Colombo Wednesday. However, the ban from international cricket will continue.
The decision comes close on the heels of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) banning 13 players for 10-years after they signed up with the ICL.
The previous interim committee of the SLC, led by Jayantha Dharmadasa, had imposed a total ban on all national cricketers playing the ICL tournament, preventing them from taking part in all forms of cricket and cricket related activities locally and internationally.
- Sri Lanka sports minister irked at ban being lifted on ICL players - Sep 22, 2008
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- No DRS for Australia-Sri Lanka series for lack of sponsor - Jul 15, 2011
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricket board backs sacking of Australian coach - Jan 28, 2012
- IPL a monster that will destroy international cricket: Ranatunga - Jun 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket appoints Lorgat as advisor - Jul 31, 2012
- Sri Lanka to boost domestic cricket - Sep 03, 2012
- Sri Lanka Cricket softens its stand on ICL players - Sep 19, 2008
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Galle pitch not dangerous, says Sri Lanka cricket chief - Sep 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- Ranatunga's take on IPL his own, says Mahela - Apr 20, 2012
- ICC asks Bangladesh, Sri Lanka to have anti-graft code - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: bangladesh cricket board, cricket boards, cricket league, india bcci, indian cricket board, interim committee, international cricket council, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan counterpart, sri lankan cricket