BCCI panel concludes probe into slapping incident

May 9th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by admin  

A file-photo of Harbhajan Singh

Ahmedabad, May 9 (IANS) The BCCI probe panel headed by Sudhir Nanavati Friday afternoon concluded its hearing on the scandalous slapping incident involving Sreesanth and Harbhajan Singh. Nanavati, who has been told not to go public with his observations, is expected to submit his report to cricket board president Sharad Pawar Monday. Cricket board secretary Niranjan Shah and a BCCI lawyer, identified as Akila, were present at the proceeding. Four video cameras recorded the event.

The probe commissioner did not speak to the media. However, Niranjan Shah is to address the press in the evening, a source said.

The board recently barred Nanavati from going public with observations during his inquiry into the incident at the Indian Premier League match last month when Harbhajan Singh slapped rival IPL team’s member Sreesanth.

Nanavati, who is also vice-president of the Gujarat Cricket Association and chairman of the BCCI’s finance committee, had aired what he called his “shock” at the video-clip of Harbhajan Singh’s attack on Sreesanth. Nanavati is expected to submit his fact-finding report to BCCI president Sharad Pawar on Monday.

Even after submitting the report, Nanavati has been asked not to comment publicly on the issue, the source said. After the hearing was over Friday, both Sreesanth and Harbhajan looked satisfied at the outcome.

Harbhajan was banned for the rest of the season by the IPL after match referee Faroukh Engineer found the off-spinner guilty of slapping Sreesanth.

The BCCI then ordered a separate probe as Harbhajan is a player on contract with the Indian board and asked Nanavati to submit his report within a fortnight.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |