BCCI opens its doors for ICL playersApril 29th, 2009 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 29 (IANS) The Indian cricket board Wednesday threw a life-line to the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) players, setting a deadline of May 31 for cricketers to sever all ties with the league following which they will be immediately eligible for domestic cricket.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Shashank Manohar told reporters here that after returning to official cricket the players will be also eligible for national selection but only after a year.
The decision was taken in the BCCI’s working committee meeting here at the Cricket Centre in Wankhede Stadium.
“The BCCI has taken a decision to grant amnesty to players who have been associated with the ICL. They have been given time till May 31 during which they need to sever all ties with the ICL and come back to the BCCI and inform the board,” Manohar said.
Other national boards, who had banned ICL players, are also expected to toe the same line.
“We have taken a further decision on those players and the support staff of the ICL that they will not be able to play international cricket or given international assignments for a period of one year from the date they sever their allegiance with the ICL,” Manohar said.
Manohar said that the decision was taken after several ICL players and support staff admitted that they made a wrong move by signing up with the ICL.
“A lot of cricketers and support staff with the ICL met us and informed us that it was a mistake committed by them in joining the ICL and they want to return to the BCCI. They will be allowed to play domestic cricket immediately,” he said.
- BCCI announces 'amnesty' for ICL players - Apr 29, 2009
- BCCI ropes in ex-president Manohar to solve Sahara crisis - Feb 14, 2012
- BCCI didn't bend rules for Sahara: IPL chief - Feb 16, 2012
- IPL-4 kicks off with a colourful opening ceremony - Apr 08, 2011
- BCCI grants amnesty to Kapil Dev - Jul 25, 2012
- BCCI chief, secretary to frame plans to arrest India's slide - Aug 15, 2011
- BCCI will decide on SRK ban: Rajiv Shukla - May 18, 2012
- Positive outcome on Sahara by this week: IPL chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Pakistan's domestic T20 winners to play in Champions League: BCCI - May 12, 2012
- Modi reveals how BCCI scuttled ICL - Jun 20, 2011
- BCCI, Tendulkar want UDRS to be accurate - Jun 17, 2011
- UDRS not reliable, reiterates Indian cricket board - Jun 18, 2011
- ICL rebels happy to be back in mainstream cricket - Jun 02, 2009
- Decision Monday on Sahara-BCCI dispute - Feb 12, 2012
- IPL governing council meeting to take decision on Modi - Apr 20, 2010
Tags: allegiance, amnesty, april 29, committee meeting, cricket centre, cricket league, cricketers, domestic cricket, doors, india bcci, indian cricket board, international assignments, international cricket, manohar, mistake, national selection, shashank, support staff, ties, working committee