BCCI may appoint interim panel to run IPL (Lead)April 26th, 2010 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 26 (IANS) The Indian Premier League (IPL) Governing Council that met here Monday is likely to appoint an interim committee to run the affairs of the Twenty20 league after its chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi was suspended on 22 charges of impropriety.
Two former cricketers will be on the panel, a top source in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) told IANS. Former skipper Sunil Gavaskar’s name is doing the rounds as head of the panel. Gavaskar is also a member of the Governing Council.
A 34-page chargesheet was handed over to Modi, who is also the vice president of the BCCI, in the early hours of Monday after the IPL final. The charges range from financial irregularities to rigging bids proxy holdings and kickbacks in broadcast deal.
BCCI president Shashank Manohar suspended Modi, who has 15 days to reply to all the charges levelled against him.
Thirteen members of the Governing Council, sans Modi, under the chairmanship of Manohar were present at the meeting at the Cricket Centre in Wankhede Stadium.
The other members of the Governing Council are Punjab Cricket Association chief Inderjit Singh Bindra, BCCI treasurer M.P. Pandove, vice presidents Chirayu Amin, Rajeev Shukla, Arjun Jaitley, board secretary N. Srinivasan, joint secretary Sanjay Jagdale, Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association chief Farooq Abdullah, IPL vice-chairman Niranjan Shah and former India captains Ravi Shastri, Gavaskar and Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.
Modi has said that the IPL is “clean and transparent”.
“In the last few days, we have had a lot of innuendoes, and half truths and motivated leaks (about IPL). I want to tell you that all decisions have been taken by the Governing Council and approved by the General Body. I reassure you that if there is any flouting of rules and any irregularities I shall take full responsibility,” Modi had said in a speech at the end of the final match.
- IPL Governing Council meets, sans Modi - Apr 26, 2010
- Chirayu Amin takes over as interim IPL chairman - Apr 26, 2010
- Sunil Gavaskar dropped from IPL Governing Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Amin is IPL interim chairman; Manohar assures fair Modi trial (Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Srinivasan set to be BCCI president-elect - Sep 28, 2010
- Chirayu Amin IPL interim chief, Modi chargesheeted on five counts (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2010
- IPL Governing Council to decide Modi's fate Monday (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Sanjay Jagdale to be BCCI secretary, Ajay Shirkey treasurer - Sep 18, 2011
- BCCI appoints 3-member team to oversee IPL functioning - Apr 26, 2010
- Sunil Gavaskar not part of new IPL Governing Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Srinivasan takes charge as BCCI president; terminates Kochi's contract (Lead) - Sep 19, 2011
- Modi boxed into corner, BCCI out to oust him? - Apr 19, 2010
- BCCI special general meeting to discuss Modi's fate - Jul 02, 2010
- Modi replies to third BCCI showcause notice - Jun 17, 2010
- BCCI rejects Modi's request for recusal of Jaitley, Amin - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: board secretary, broadcast deal, chirayu amin, cricket centre, doing the rounds, farooq abdullah, final match, financial irregularities, inderjit singh, india bcci, innuendoes, interim committee, interim panel, jammu and kashmir, mansoor ali khan, mansoor ali khan pataudi, punjab cricket association, rigging bids, vice presidents, wankhede stadium