BCCI institutes awards named after Lala AmarnathOctober 29th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 29 (IANS) To commemorate the birth centenary of former Indian captain Lala Amarnath, the Indian cricket board Saturday decided to institute awards in his name for the best all-rounder in the Ranji Trophy and the best all-rounder in domestic limited-overs tournaments from this season.
The awards in each category will comprise a trophy and a cash prize of Rs.2.5 lakh, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Jagdale said in a statement after the board’s working committee meeting here Saturday.
Lala Amarnath holds the distinction of scoring India’s first ever Test century, a milestone he achieved in the Test match against England in 1933 at Mumbai. He led the country in 15 Test matches.
Like many other talented cricketers of his time, Amarnath’s career suffered because of the second World War.
After his retirement, Amarnath donned the mantles of selector, manager, coach and broadcaster.
- BCCI opposes draft sports bill, appoints physio for Team India - Oct 29, 2011
- Dravid named for Polly Umrigar best cricketer award - Nov 23, 2011
- All down to hard work: Dravid on getting Polly Umrigar Award - Dec 11, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Sourav-led technical body differs with working committee - Feb 17, 2012
- Former BCCI chief Rungta dies - Jul 12, 2012
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- Gayle wins WIPA cricketer of the year award - Jun 06, 2011
- C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for Mohinder Amarnath - Nov 10, 2009
- Ranji Trophy format tweaked a second time in 10 years - Jul 16, 2012
- Former BCCI chief PM. Rungta passes away (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for Salim Durrani - May 27, 2011
- Uthappa in India squad for one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 07, 2012
- World Cup-winning team felicitated, lifetime award for Durrani - May 31, 2011
- New ICC rules to be implemented in domestic matches from Challenger Trophy - Oct 07, 2011
- Former BCCI chief P.M. Rungta passes away (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: amarnath, broadcaster, cash prize, committee meeting, cricketers, india bcci, indian captain, indian cricket board, mantles, milestone, mumbai, ranji trophy, rounder, rs 2, sanjay, second world war, test century, test match, test matches, working committee