BCCI directive clears air on Duleep Trophy selectionJanuary 10th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 10 (IANS) The Indian cricket board has ruled that the national selector from a zone would chair meetings to pick Duleep Trophy teams even if there were two representatives from the zone at the meeting.Following that, national selection panel member from East Zone Raja Venkat Saturday chaired the Duleep Trophy team selection meeting from the zone, though Bengal was represented by the state’s chairman of selectors Sambaran Banerjee.
With Venkat also from Bengal, there were for all practical purposes two representatives from the state in the meeting at Guwahati that chose Shiv Sundar Das of Orissa as the East Zone skipper. Das’s statemate Rashmi Ranjan Parida was named his deputy.
Venkat, however, claimed that the problem of dual representation did not arise.
“Things were very peaceful in the meeting. The problem of dual representation didn’t arise as the Board had already issued directives to allow the BCCI-appointed selector to chair the meeting. And the selections were unanimous,” Venkat said.
Utpal Chatterjee was appointed coach. Chatterjee had been pulled up by the Jagmohan Dalmiya-led Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) for making “irresponsible public comments” in the run-up to Bengal’s Ranji Trophy super league quarter final against Tamil Nadu.
Five players each from Bengal and Orissa, two each from Assam and Tripura and one from Jharkhand figure in the 15-member squad.
East Zone play their lung opener against West Zone in Mumbai Jan 29.
Squad: Shiv Sunder Das (captain), R.R. Parida (vice captain), Niranjan Behera, Basant Mohanti, H.N. Das (all Orissa), Manoj Tiwary, Wriddhiman Saha, Dibyendu Chakrabarty, Ranadeb Bose, Ashok Dinda (all Bengal), Anant Katti, Krishna Das (both Assam), Saurav Tewari (Jharkhand), Jayanta Debnath and Tushar Saha (both Tripura). Coach: Utpal Chatterjee. Manager: Nagesh Singh (Assam).
- Shukla blasts Venkat for being dropped from East Zone squad - Mar 12, 2012
- BCCI trying to find solution to selector issue - Jan 08, 2009
- BCCI mum as Dhoni plays hide and seek - Jan 12, 2009
- East Zone win maiden Duleep Trophy title - Feb 14, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Nehra bags six wickets, double ton for Yadav - Nov 30, 2011
- Sanjay Jagdale to be BCCI secretary, Ajay Shirkey treasurer - Sep 18, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Ravindra Jadeja strikes triple ton against Orissa - Nov 04, 2011
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Odisha festival in Tripura to commemorate 'Utkal Divas' - Apr 01, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary hit unbeaten tons - Nov 03, 2011
- Kalinga Sena threatens IPL matches, wants Aussies out (Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- Northeast reviews disaster preparedness after quake - Sep 20, 2011
- An exciting fare on the cards as Delhi takes on Bengal - Oct 31, 2010
- Ranji Trophy: Punjab, Baroda in trouble - Nov 19, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Tiwary, Pandey, Menaria slam double hundreds - Nov 18, 2011