BCCI chief to release book on Test cricket in IndiaDecember 18th, 2008 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali, Dec 18 (IANS) Indian cricket team delighted the fans pulling off an improbable victory over England in the Chennai Test Monday, but the day is also remembered for another Indian milestone.On the very day, 75 years ago, India played their first Test on Indian soil against England at the Bombay Gymkhana in South Mumbai.
To commemorate the occasion, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has organised a book release function at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium, Friday the day of the second cricket Test between India and England.
BCCI president Shashank Manohar is expected release the book at a function.
“BCCI President is specially coming to the PCA stadium to release the book that will recollect events of the long journey of 75 years of India’s Test cricket,” G.S. Walia, joint secretary, PCA told IANS Thursday.
“Earlier an official function was planned Dec 17 in Mumbai to mark the occasion, but that was cancelled, due to the terror attacks there,” he said.
The touring England team won the historic Test match by nine wickets Dec 15, 1933, at the Bombay Gymkhana. C.K. Nayudu led India and Douglas Jardine captained England.
India made their Test debut at Lord’s in London in June 1932 against England.
- Wadekar to be honoured with C.K.Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award - Nov 22, 2011
- Tendulkar to receive Polly Umrigar Award - May 14, 2011
- Dravid named for Polly Umrigar best cricketer award - Nov 23, 2011
- C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for Salim Durrani - May 27, 2011
- World Cup-winning team felicitated, lifetime award for Durrani - May 31, 2011
- All down to hard work: Dravid on getting Polly Umrigar Award - Dec 11, 2011
- Where has the Eden crowd gone? - Feb 16, 2010
- BCCI institutes awards named after Lala Amarnath - Oct 29, 2011
- Bawa Bullies edge out Titans in Mumbai Billiards - Jul 24, 2012
- MCC, Bengal cricket together mark first Test at Eden Gardens - Jan 08, 2009
- Mumbai now also becomes nation's cricket capital - Apr 02, 2011
- India and England cricket boards to celebrate 100th Test - Jul 20, 2011
- Housefull in Chandigarh for India-Pakistan clash - Mar 25, 2011
- BCCI honours 15 veteran cricketers - May 24, 2012
- Use Flintoff as Larwood to give Ponting 'Bodyline' chin music during Ashes: Chappell - Jul 07, 2010