Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over WolfsburgJanuary 29th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Jan 29 (IANS) Bayern Munich carved out an unspectacular 2-0 win over Wolfsburg to stay at the top of the Bundesliga football while defending champions Borussia Dortmund beat Hoffenheim 3-1 with midfielder Shinji Kagawa scoring a brace.
The Bavarians were under pressure as they had to grab all their chances to remain in the championship lead as they were tied on points with Dortmund and Schalke.
Bayern striker Mario Gomez opened the scoring in the 60th minute Saturday, latching on to a free kick for his 17th goal of the season.
In the closing minutes, Dutch midfielder Arjen Robben scored to seal an important but unimpressive win.
Bayern stay on top with 40 points while Wolfsburg remain in ninth position on 23 points, reports Xinhua.
Dortmund earned their first ever win at Hoffenheim.
Dortmund midfielder and Japanese international Shinji Kagawa had all time and space inside the penalty area to slot home in the 16th minute. The score was doubled in the 31st minute through midfielder Kevin Groskreutz and Kagawa struck again in the 54th minute.
Hoffenheim were able to reduce the margin eight minutes later through defender Fabian Johnson.
Dortmund extend their unbeaten streak to 13 matches to remain in second position, equal on points with Bayern, but with a weaker goal difference. Hoffenheim are in in eighth position with 23 points.
Schalke ensured the fact that the top three teams have 40 points as they humiliated Cologne 4-1. Schalke came from behind as Cologne striker and German international Lukas Podolski hammered the opener from 18 meters.
Soon after the break they Schalke striker Ciprian Marica struck twice.
In the 77th minute, Cologne defender Miso Brecko committed a foul inside penalty area to get a red card and the penalty was converted by Klaas Jan Huntelaar, his 16th goal of the season - one behind Bayern striker Gomez. Midfielder Marco Hoeger netted the fourth goal.
Schalke are in third position with 40 points while Cologne slipped from 11th to 13th on 21 points.
Bremen failed to beat Leverkusen for the eight time in succession, sharing points after a 1-1 draw at Weser stadium.
Bremen’s leading striker Claudio Pizzaro scored in the 29th minute and after the break Leverkusen levelled the score in the 57th minute through defender Stefan Reinartz.
Both sides remain where they were before the game, Bremen in fifth position with 31 points and Leverkusen in sixth with 30.
After the disastrous 5-1 loss last week against Dortmund, Hamburg came back to defeat Berlin 2-1.
Marcell Jansen scored first for Hamburg and then Mladen Pentric headed home to make it 2-0.
Berlin could only reduce the margin in the 81st minute as youngster striker Pierre Michel Lasogga nodded home a cross from the left.
Berlin slips from 13th to 14th position with 20 points whilst Hamburg climbs from 14th to 11th position on 22 points.
In the match between the two bottom sides, 18th positioned Augsburg shared points with 16th positioned Kaiserslautern after a two-all draw. Augsburg jump from 18th to 17th position with 16 points while Kaiserslautern remain at 16th on 18 points.
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Dortmund drop points as Bayern edge closer - Mar 11, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Bayern Munich continue their Bundesliga domination - Oct 16, 2011
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: bavarians, bayern munich, eighth position, free kick, goal difference, japanese international, klaas jan, marica, mario gomez, miso, ninth position, robben, schalke, shinji, striker, third position, time and space, unbeaten streak, wolfsburg, xinhua