Bayern, Monchengladbach, Fuerth in German Cup semisFebruary 9th, 2012 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Feb 9 (IANS) Bayern Munich had no problems overcoming a clumsy Stuttgart 2-0, Monchengladbach wrapped up a controversial win and second division Greuther Fuerth clinched a sensational 1-0 win over struggling Hoffenheim in the German Cup football quarterfinals.
German record champions Bayern Munich were flawless against Stuttgart Wednesday.
Bayern opened the scoring through Frenchman midfielder Franck Ribery in the 30th minute as he netted a diagonal pass from inside the penalty area. One minute into second half, Bayern top striker Mario Gomez doubled the lead against Stuttgart with a follow up shot.
It is the third time in a row that Bayern advanced into semifinals of the tournament.
Monchengladbach sealed their semifinal berth with a 2-0 win over Berlin, Xinhua reported.
Both sides staged an unexciting display of football for 90 minutes, leading to extra time.
In the 101st minute, referee Felix Brych rewarded Igor de Camargos after a violent tackle by Berlin defender Roman Hubnik, who got a red card.
Monchengladbach defender Filip Daems converted the penalty into the top right to open the scoring.
Just before end of extra time, defender Oscar Wendt sealed the deal against 10-man Berlin when he took an assist to make it 2-0 in front of 47,465 spectators at Berlin Olympia stadium.
Greuther Fuerth shocked 10-man Hoffenheim with a neat 1-0 win to complete the semifinal line-up.
Hoffenheim defender Marvin Compper was responsible for the negative highlight of the match when he weakened his side, after a violent conduct against Fuerth midfielder Stephan Fuerstner in the 36th minute.
Greuther Fuerth was able to turn the advantage into a tangible reward when striker Olivier Occean slotted home the winner in the 44th minute.
Borussia Dortmund was the first team to reach the last four Tuesday.
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- Nuremberg stun Monchengladbach in Bundesliga - Mar 05, 2012
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Bayern Munich continue their Bundesliga domination - Oct 16, 2011
- German record champion Bayern sets Dortmund under pressure - Mar 25, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Bayern slips to third place in Bundesliga after shock loss to Mainz - Nov 28, 2011
- Monchengladbach shocks leaders Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Jan 21, 2012
- Bayern make German Cup semi-finals as Cologne implode - Feb 11, 2010
- Bayern drop points, Dortmund extend lead in Bundesliga - Feb 19, 2012
- Dortmund drop points as Bayern edge closer - Mar 11, 2012
- Bayern lose top position to Dortmund in German Bundesliga - Feb 05, 2012
- Monchengladbach beat Cologne in Bundesliga - Apr 16, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
Tags: bayern munich, berlin olympia stadium, cup football, cup semis, extra time, filip, franck ribery, frenchman, fuerth, german cup, hoffenheim, mario gomez, midfielder, referee, semifinal berth, spectators, tangible reward, third time, violent conduct, xinhua