Barcelona’s Alves to miss cup final with broken collar-boneMay 17th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 17 (IANS) FC Barcelona’s Brazilian full back Dani Alves will miss the final of the Copa del Rey against Athletic Bilbao after suffering a shoulder injury.
The club issued an official communique confirming that Alves had fractured the right side of his collarbone during his side’s Wednesday training session.
The injury completes a miserable end to the campaign for Alves, who was sent off in his side’s last league game of the season, which ended in a 2-2 draw away to Betis last Saturday night.
Alves will need an operation and will not recover in time for the final when Barca play Athletic Club Bilbao May 25th in the Vicente Calderon Stadium, reported Xinhua.
Alves’ injury sees him join Carlos Puyol, who underwent an operation on his right knee Saturday, and left back Eric Adibal, who has just left hospital following a kidney transplant, on the injury list.
Meanwhile young central defender Andreu Fontas has been out for several months after damaging knee ligaments, while striker David Villa is doubtful as he works to recover from a broken leg he suffered while playing in the World Club Championships in December.
Young full back Martin Montoya, who has played several games in the run in to then end of the season, will replace Alves in the Cup final.
- Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona vie in Copa del Rey final - May 24, 2012
- Must win game for Barca as Betis visit Camp Nou - Jan 14, 2012
- Barcelona suffer Fontas injury blow - Jan 13, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Barcelona must beat Real Sociedad at home - Feb 03, 2012
- Adriano injury poses problems for Barcelona - Mar 21, 2012
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Barca start on long road to Wembley - Sep 18, 2012
- Real Madrid and Barca set for eighth 'Clasico' in 9 months - Jan 17, 2012
- Barcelona squad at limit for Malaga trip - Jan 20, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Valencia draw Barcelona in Copa del Rey semis first leg - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: athletic bilbao, athletic club bilbao, broken collar bone, broken leg, carlos puyol, central defender, collarbone, copa del rey, fc barcelona, fontas, kidney transplant, knee ligaments, last saturday night, league game, montoya, shoulder injury, training session, vicente calderon, world club championships, xinhua