Barcelona players celebrate ‘incredible season’May 28th, 2009 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 28 (DPA) Barcelona players were on cloud nine Wednesday after winning the Champions League to seal a historic treble.
“It has been the perfect end to an incredible season,” said Barcelona player Andres Iniesta.
Barca beat Manchester United 2-0 in Rome to claim their third Champions League title and their third title this season, after the King’s Cup and La Liga. The players just could not hide their joy.
“It has been fantastic. What can you say about this year?” Iniesta asked. “Everything was perfect.”
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o put the Catalan club on track with a crucial goal 10 minutes into the game.
“This is incredible. The team deserves it after what we have suffered this season. When something like this happens to you, you don’t even know how to celebrate,” Eto’o said.
Barcelona captain Carlos Puyol was exultant after lifting his second Champions League title.
“It has been the victory of the best team, of the bet on fantastic football,” he said.
In the stands at the Stadio Olimpico was Johan Cruyff, coach of the Barca side that lifted the club’s first-ever European Cup trophy in 1992. Current coach Josep Guardiola was part of that team.
“It is a fantastic day for Barcelona and for the lovers of this sport. It is the victory of technical football, of the speed of the ball, of touch. That is what it’s been like all season, and it is something to be happy about,” Cruyff said.
Another distinguished guest in the box was Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, a declared Barca fan.
“The team has done the same it has been doing all season,” he said. “It has been a well-rounded and calm game. It has become clear that Barcelona is the best team in the world. It will be difficult to see such a success ever again. It’s not every day that you win a treble.”
Jorge Messi was pleased with the win and with his son Lionel Messi’s performance, particularly the goal that set the definitive 2-0 for Barcelona.
“It is strange for Leo to score with a header, but it was beautiful,” he said. “What a luxury!”
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Spanish media delighted with Messi's Golden Ball award - Dec 01, 2009
- Barcelona fans celebrate league title, dream of 'treble' - May 17, 2009
- Rome gives thumbs up to Eto'o - May 28, 2009
- Redknapp reveals Euro team he would like to boss - Mar 17, 2011
- Barcelona achieve 'something special' - May 28, 2009
- Barcelona outclass United to be crowned champions of Europe (Roundup) - May 28, 2009
- Rooney admits Man U lost to a better team - May 28, 2009
- 'Ho visto Messi': a superstar with infinite potential - Apr 10, 2010
- Alves angry Barcelona not refuting rumours - Jun 11, 2012
- Cahmapions League: Chelsea's Drogba warns Barcelona that it will be blown away - May 06, 2009
- Messi won't leave Barcelona for money - Nov 04, 2011
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Barcelona to rest Henry before big battle - May 09, 2009
- Spain euphoric about Barcelona's triple - May 28, 2009
Tags: andres iniesta, barca, carlos puyol, champions league, cloud nine, cup trophy, dpa, fantastic day, johan cruyff, jose luis rodriguez, jose luis rodriguez zapatero, lionel messi, luis rodriguez, luis rodriguez zapatero, manchester united, prime minister jose luis rodriguez zapatero, samuel eto o, spanish prime minister, stadio olimpico, treble