Barcelona break all records, Sevilla score late winJanuary 18th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Jan 18 (DPA) Barcelona finished the first half of their Primera Liga programme in superlative style, thrashing hapless Deportivo Coruna 5-0 at home, with two goals apiece from Thierry Henry and Samuel Eto’o.Their seventh successive win Saturday meant that Barca reach the halfway mark, 19 games, on 50 points, a new record in La Liga.
They have also created a new record for goals scored at this stage, having put away 59. Josep Guardiola’s team are keen to break Real Madrid’s record of 107 goals in the 1989-90 season.
They are now 12 points ahead of second-placed Sevilla, who scored a late 1-0 home win over ten-man Numancia later Saturday.
Barca, of course, had less problems breaking down the Deportivo defence.
“We are really enjoying ourselves this season,” said Barca playmaker Xavi, “and tonight’s was another pleasant match.”
As usual, Guardiola’s slick side had killed off the match by half-time, though they refused to ease up in the second half.
In the 21st minute Lionel Messi broke the deadlock with another of his memorable solo goals. The Argentine idol took the ball out on the left and sped past four defenders before scoring with a deft shot which went in off the post.
Six minutes later Thierry Henry made it 2-0 with a powerful header, on a clever centre from Daniel Alves.
Three minutes before half-time, with Deportivo desperate to get back in the dressing-room, keeper Daniel Aranzubia failed to hold a Seydou Keita header - and Eto’o tapped in his 17th goal.
Messi then proved that he was human by putting two clear headers wide.
Henry made it 4-0 in the 82nd minute after being set up by Xavi. Five minutes later Aranzubia was sent off for bringing down Carles Puyol - and Eto’o calmly put away the resultant penalty.
Later, Sevilla beat lowly Numancia 1-0, on a late goal from Brazilian Renato. Numancia had to play for 40 minutes with 10 men, after left-back Domingo Cisma had clumsily picked up a second yellow card. Twnety minutes from time, Luis Fabiano almost put Sevilla ahead with a spectacular scissors kick.
Eight minutes from time Renato finally broke the deadlock with a low shot, after good work down the right by the lively Jesus Navas.
“They made things really hard for us tonight,” said goalscorer Renato.
“Just because you are playing against 10 men,” he added, “doesn’t mean you are going to score easily.”
Sevilla now have 38 points from 19 games, three more than crisis club Real Madrid.
- Barcelona take a step towards Liga - Apr 05, 2009
- Barcelona blank Zaragoza in La Liga, Real Madrid beat Valencia - Nov 20, 2011
- Barcelona are virtual Liga champs after thrashing Real Madrid - May 03, 2009
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Win over Xerez puts Barcelona five-point ahead of Real Madrid - Dec 03, 2009
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Barcelona on a 10-match winning streak in Liga - Feb 09, 2009
- Barcelona's draw in Bilbao leaves Real Madrid top - Nov 22, 2009
- Real Madrid, Barcelona win easy in La Liga - Jan 23, 2012
- Messi becomes Barcelona's all-time leading scorer - Mar 21, 2012
- Barca win 'El Classico' to go top of Spanish La Liga - Dec 11, 2011
- Barca eight points clear, Filipe Luis injured - Jan 24, 2010
- Barca stay seven points behind Madrid - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: carles puyol, cisma, daniel alves, daniel aranzubia, deadlock, deportivo coruna, dpa, dressing room, josep guardiola, lionel messi, numancia, playmaker, real madrid, samuel eto o, seydou keita, six minutes, slick side, thierry henry, three minutes, xavi