Barca stay seven points behind MadridFebruary 5th, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 5 (IANS) FC Barcelona remained seven points behind Real Madrid in the Spanish Primera Liga after a 2-1 win at home to Real Sociedad.
Barcelona missed several chances, with Lionel Messi surprisingly guilty of wasting opportunities to add to his goal tally, but in the end the Argentinian and youngster Cristian Tello assured Barca are still in the hunt for a fourth successive league title.
With his side still involved in the Copa del Rey, Pep Guardiola took a risk in handing starts to youngsters Jonathan Dos Santos, Tello, Thiago Alcantara and Isaac Cuenca, while resting key players such as Xavi Hernandez, Sergio Busquets and the injured Andres Iniesta, Xinhua reported.
Messi did start, however should have scored twice in the first half but was denied by the heroics of Real Sociedad keeper Claudio Bravo.
Tello celebrated his first start with a goal after just nine minutes, he shrewdly went round the back of the visitors’ defense to sidefoot home.
Messi must have thought he had sealed the points when he finally beat Bravo with a neat lob with 18 minutes remaining to make it 2-0, but a slack pass from Thiago a minute later set up Carlos Vela to bring the visitors back into the match.
Antoine Griezmann had another chance for Real Sociedad, but was again denied by Valdes before Barca regained control. Despite Real Sociedad’s best efforts the visitors were unable to create clear chances to level the game.
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Loss to Osasuna impacts Barcelona's title chances - Feb 12, 2012
- Real Madrid defeat Barcelona in Camp Nou - Apr 22, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Real, Barca both claim victories at Primera Liga - Mar 25, 2012
- Barcelona take on Zaragoza in crucial La Liga tie - Nov 18, 2011
- Alba, Mata and Martinez in Spain's Olympic squad - Jul 04, 2012
- Messi becomes Barcelona's all-time leading scorer - Mar 21, 2012
- Barcelona must beat Real Sociedad at home - Feb 03, 2012
- Barca trail one point behind Real after crushing victory - Apr 11, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- No Messi as Barca take on Sporting Gijon - Mar 03, 2012
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Champions League: Messi's brace sinks brave Spartak - Sep 20, 2012
- Real Madrid come from behind to win against Mallorca - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: alcantara, andres iniesta, best efforts, busquets, carlos vela, claudio bravo, copa del rey, fc barcelona, goal tally, heroics, madrid madrid, pep guardiola, real madrid, real sociedad, seven points, spanish primera liga, thiago, xavi hernandez, xinhua, youngster