Barca beat Gijon 3-1 without MessiMarch 4th, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, March 4 (IANS) FC Barcelona, playing without their talisman Lionel Messi who was suspended for the game, beat Sporting Gijon 3-1 at the Camp Nou.
The win takes Barca to within seven points of Real Madrid.
Sporting manager Javier Clemente began the game Saturday without a striker in his side and a packed defence to try and stop Barcelona, Xinhua reported.
The Catalans had two good penalty appeals turned down in the first half before Andres Iniesta opened the scoring following a brilliant passing move from the reigning league champions.
The game looked to be clearly going Barca’s way, but it changed radically in the first minute of the second half, when Gerard Pique was sent off for supposedly bringing down Miguel de las Cuervas. It looked a harsh decision and more so when David Barral turned home a low cross from the resulting free kick.
Barca lost their shape and were unable to break down a well organised Sporting until Keita scored a fine left foot shot with 11 minutes remaining. It was his first league goal of the season.
Xavi Hernandez sealed the win after linking with Andres Iniesta two minutes from time. The midfielder took a magnificent through ball and clipped the ball over the keeper into the net.
Sevilla and Atletico Madrid drew 1-1 in a game between two sides with European ambitions. Eduardo Salvio scored a neat header after nine minutes to put the visitors ahead, but Baba Diawara equalized with his first goal for Sevilla eight minutes into the second half.
- Real Madrid top La Liga as Barcelona held - Oct 23, 2011
- Barcelona look to bounce back against Osasuna - Sep 16, 2011
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Barcelona must beat Real Sociedad at home - Feb 03, 2012
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Barcelona face surprise package in La Liga - Dec 02, 2011
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Real Madrid defeat 10-man Barca to win Spanish Supercup - Aug 30, 2012
- Midfielder Keita to leave Barcelona - Jul 08, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Barca trail one point behind Real after crushing victory - Apr 11, 2012
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Real Madrid return to top with 6-2 thrashing of Sevilla - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: ambitions, andres iniesta, atletico madrid, camp nou, catalans, david barral, fc barcelona, free kick, gerard pique, javier clemente, league champions, league goal, lionel messi, midfielder, real madrid, seven points, sevilla, striker, talisman, xinhua