Baramulla goes into raptures, this time for right reasonsJuly 17th, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Baramulla, July 17 (IANS) The garrison town of Baramulla, which has been in news for all the wrong reasons in recent years, Tuesday came alive cheering a Jammu and Kashmir football team in a goodwill match against the once-famed Kolkata’s Mohammedan Sporting.
Over 10,000 football lovers watched the home team win the exciting match by a solitary goal at the Prof. Showkat Ali Stadium in this north Kashmir town.
The enthusiasm among the local youth and as well as old-timers was at its peak when the J&K; XI attacked the Sporting goal and every move and shot was loudly cheered.
In the first half of the game, the J&K; XI appeared to be battling hard to keep the ball out of their half as the Sporting players mounted pressure through their all out effort to score against the local team that had defeated the visitors in Srinagar’s Bakshi Stadium Sunday.
In the second half of the match, exactly two minutes before the final whistle, J&K; XI’s Ishfaq, wearing number eleven jersey took the opponent’s goalkeeper by surprise, shooting from just outside the penalty area.
As Ishfaq netted the ball, the crowd at the stadium went into raptures. Although Sporting tried their best, the equalizer did not come as the referee blew the final whistle.
Violent mobs attacking security forces with stones, mobs resorting to arson and blockade of the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway, has been the story of this town for years.
It is probably for the first time since separatist violence started here in early 1990s that this town has seen so many smiling faces of youth cheering and jeering for all the right reasons.
Sports has finally done something for the town that politicians have failed do many for years, bringing back the cheer and thrill to the hearts of the local youth.
- Salgaocar thrash Churchill Brothers 3-0 in I-League - Jan 22, 2012
- Kashmir has talent but no infrastructure: Footballer Ishfaq Ahmed - Oct 23, 2011
- Pailan, Salgaocar play goalless draw in I-League - Feb 02, 2012
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- Chirag begin with 2-1 win over inexperienced AIFF XI - Dec 03, 2010
- Srinagar cautious, no big screens for Mohali match - Mar 30, 2011
- Three killed, 14 injured in police firing in Baramulla - Sep 06, 2010
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- Now Geelani opposes stone pelting, says it achieved nothing - Apr 30, 2011
- Bhutia steals the show as Bayern Munich dazzle - Jan 10, 2012
- Two killed in Kashmir protests (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- Churchill ride Beto's brace to beat Shillong Lajong 2-0 - Jan 18, 2012
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,