Banning IPL? Ridiculous, says Shilpa ShettyMay 19th, 2012 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Actress Shilpa Shetty, who part owns Indian Premier League (IPL) team Rajasthan Royals, is upset with negative news around the league. She has spoken out against politicians’ demand to ban the cricket event, and says the thought is “ridiculous”.
“It is upsetting to see TV channels running down the IPL, for any silly reason, citing reasons of it giving a bad image to India! How one sided,” tweeted Shilpa.
The actress, who is expecting her first child with businessman husband Raj Kundra, says IPL has opened up opportunities for young talent and banning it, as politician like Kirti Azad and Lalu Prasad Yadav are demanding, would be absurd.
“A league that has opened up opportunities and a platform for so many young cricketers from all over. Bringing pride, revenue and entertainment to India. While corruption and some politicians have caused so much embarrassment to our country, those instances are forgotten so easily! Strange,” she wrote.
“Hate this trial by media, and sensationalism of trivial issues! Let the law take its course on those issues. Thought of banning IPL is ridiculous!” she further posted.
The IPL is currently in news for all wrong reasons.
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has been banned from entering Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium for the next five years due to his alleged misconduct with Mumbai Cricket Association officials.
In another incident immediately later, franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) player Luke Pomersbach has been accused of molesting an American girl and beating up her fiance during an IPL afterparty in the capital.
- Double trouble for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Second Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double blow for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double whammy hits IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Australian IPL player arrested for molesting woman, claims innocence (Third Lead) - May 18, 2012
- IPL player in custody for molestation (Second Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Kirti Azad on hunger strike against IPL's functioning - May 20, 2012
- Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Luke Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman - May 21, 2012
- IPL player arrested for molesting American woman (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Zohal seeks to quash charges against Pomersbach - May 24, 2012
- Pregnant Shilpa Shetty hopes to cheer her IPL team - Mar 06, 2012
- Zohal seeks to quash charges against Pomersbach (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Busy Raj Kundra reserves time for Shilpa, baby - May 05, 2012
- Arrested cricketer won't play for RCB, says Mallya - May 18, 2012
- Kirti Azad to fast against IPL - May 18, 2012
Tags: afterparty, american girl, association officials, challengers, cricket association, cricket event, cricketers, embarrassment, fiance, lalu prasad yadav, negative news, next five years, rajasthan, sensationalism, shah rukh khan, shilpa shetty, silly reason, trivial issues, tv channels, wankhede stadium