Bangla skipper vows to seek entry into WC 2011 knockout phaseMarch 12th, 2011 - 12:59 pm ICT by ANI
Chittagong (Bangladesh), Mar. 12 (ANI): Bangladesh cricket captain Shakib Al Hasan has vowed to “fight to the end” to secure an entry into the World Cup knockout phase after his team’s dramatic two-wicket win over England on Friday.
The home side restricted England to 225 all out and made a good start to their reply, looking comfortable at 155-3 before a collapse saw them lose five wickets for just 14 runs.
But Mohammad Mahmudullah (21) and Shafiul Islam (24) took the score from a perilous 169-8 to 227-8, guiding Bangladesh to a nervy two-wicket victory.
“It means a hell of a lot to the whole country. We all know we’re very emotional about cricket. It was a great win for us and hopefully we’ll kick on from here. No matter what happens we’ll fight to the end,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Shakib, as saying.
A disappointed England captain Andrew Strauss said: “We struggled a little bit with the bat although I thought 225 was a competitive total. We needed to bowl and field well but didn’t do that as well as we would have liked. We got ourselves in a great position to win the game but in the end we couldn’t take those final two wickets. We’re bitterly disappointed and we have to bounce back well against the West Indies.” (ANI)
- England suffer shocking two-wicket defeat against Bangladesh (Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Bangladesh's upset win is their second against England in 15 ODIs (Match Highlights) - Mar 12, 2011
- Shakib confident of pulling an upset win over South Africa - Mar 18, 2011
- Bangladesh hold nerves for shock two-wicket defeat of England (Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Bangladesh could be a team to watch out for (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 13, 2011
- World Cup: Scoreboard of England-Bangladesh match - Mar 11, 2011
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Will closely follow West Indies-England clash: Shakib - Mar 14, 2011
- India amass 370/4 in 50 overs - Feb 19, 2011
- Bangladesh are ordinary, says Sewhag - Jan 16, 2010
- World Cup scoreboard: England vs. Bangladesh, Group B - Mar 12, 2011
- Graeme Smith wins toss, elects to bat - Mar 19, 2011
- Bangladesh struggles to cope with end of World Cup dream - Mar 20, 2011
- Bangladesh elect to bat against India - Jun 16, 2010
- Sehwag, Munaf set up Indian victory (Round up) - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,