Bangaldeshi author Taslima Nasreen returns to IndiaAugust 8th, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.8 (ANI): Taslima Nasreen, the controversial Bangladeshi writer, who had to leave India in March this year, arrived in the national capital on Friday and was immediately whisked off to an undisclosed location.
Official sources said that her visa for India is valid till August 12, but did not disclose her future plans would be.
Nasreen was dramatically bundled out from West Bengal in November last year and eventually left the country for Paris before shifting to Sweden in April.
The 45-year-old Bangladeshi writer has been a target of Islamic fundamentalists in India and in other parts of the world for her controversial writings, including books ”Lajja” and ”Dvikhandita”.
In May this year she said she would like to stay in Tripura when she returns to India if not allowed to stay in Kolkata.
Talking to ”Ajker Fariad”, a leading Bengali daily here over telephone from Sweden, Nasreen said she felt like being buried alive in Sweden. She said that as she writes in Bengali, she should be allowed to stay in a Bengali-inhabited place.
I will request the West Bengal Government to allow me to stay in my Park Street home. If this fails, I will approach the Tripura Government, she had said then.
The controversial author has in the recent past also received full support from the writers community in India.
They have said that she should be granted freedom of speech and security. (ANI)
- Mahasweta Devi slams cancellation of Taslima's book launch - Feb 04, 2012
- Buddhadeb threw me out, now he's losing, Taslima tweets - May 13, 2011
- Taslima tweets praise for Mamata, sarcasm for Buddhadeb (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Kolkatans demand return of Bangla author Taslima Nasreen - Nov 23, 2010
- Organisers cancel launch of Taslima's book at scheduled venue - Feb 01, 2012
- Book banning helps fundamentalists: Taslima Nasreen (Interview) - Feb 28, 2012
- Allow Taslima to return to Kolkata: Mahasweta Devi - Nov 23, 2010
- Bangaldeshi author Taslima Nasreen in India for her visa extension - Aug 06, 2009
- Taslima desires to stay in Tripura - May 15, 2008
- Unrepentant Taslima says she will never apologise like Rushdie - Aug 04, 2009
- Never wrote for any Kannada daily, says Taslima - Mar 02, 2010
- Twitterati target Mamata regime for professor's arrest - Apr 13, 2012
- Taslima hopes to return to India in July-August - Jun 01, 2008
- Tweets that made headlines (2011 In Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen returns to India - Aug 08, 2008
Tags: bengali, controversial author, controversial writings, freedom of speech, future plans, including books, India, islamic fundamentalists, lajja, New Delhi, paris, sweden, target, tripura government, undisclosed location, visa, west bengal government, writers community