Baichung gets inaugural Banga-Samman awardFebruary 10th, 2012 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, Feb 10 (IANS) Legendary Indian footballer Baichung Bhutia was among the 10 luminaries from diverse fields honoured with the inaugural Banga-Samman award by the West Bengal government Friday. The award is in recognition of their contribution to arts, culture, music and sports
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee gave the awards to the winners at the inaugural programme of the week-long North Bengal Festival.
The other achievers honoured were renowned poet Joy Goswami, actress Sandhya Roy, actor-turned-Trinamool MLA Chiranjit Chakroborty, Singer Nachiketa, athlete Hari Shankar Rai, theatre personality Hari Madhab Mukhopadhyay, writer Indra Bahadur Rai and theatre personality Bibhas Chakroborty.
“We are proud to give this award. Film director Anjan Dutta will also get this award. We congratulate all of them. The entire Bengal is proud of them,” said Banerjee in her address.
Earlier after Trinamool Congress came to power, Banerjee had instituted the Banga-Vibhusan award to appreciate the achievements of various achievers in the field of arts, culture, music and sports.
Legendary singer Manna Dey and writer Mahasweta Devi are among the nine luminaries from diverse fields felicitated with the inaugural Banga-Vibhusan award. The other legends who were honoured were renowned danseuse Amala Shankar, sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, leading lady of yesteryear’s Bengali cinema Supriya Devi, veteran actor Haradhan Bandopadhyay, iconic footballer and Asian Games gold medallist team captain Sailen Manna, famed singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay, and celebrated Rabindra Sangeet exponent Dwijen Mukhopadhyay.
- Manna Dey, Mahasweta get inaugural 'Banga-Vibhusan' - Jul 25, 2011
- Suchitra Sen, Leslie Claudius conferred 'Banga Vibhusan' award - May 20, 2012
- Mamata fetes 18 singers - Apr 12, 2012
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Mamata's political rally turns star-studded affair - Jul 21, 2011
- West Bengal artists mourn Bhimsen Joshi's death - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Paschim Banga' invokes mixed response in Kolkata - Aug 19, 2011
- Soumitra, Mithun to be honoured by West Bengal government - Jul 18, 2012
- Would love to continue for audiences's sake: Soumitra Chatterjee - May 18, 2012
- A dignified genius, say Manna's contemporaries - Feb 27, 2012
- Sailen Manna - a genteel footballer and natural leader (Obituary) - Feb 27, 2012
- Mamata holds sway at mammoth party rally - Jul 21, 2011
- Mamata government's ad blitz on anniversary - May 20, 2012
- The art of politics: Street dramas add colour to polls - May 01, 2011
- Celebrities take on Left Front veterans for Trinamool - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: actress sandhya, amala, amjad ali khan, asian games, baichung bhutia, bengali cinema, culture music, famed singer, games gold, leading lady, legendary singer, mamata banerjee, north bengal, rai theatre, renowned poet, sangeet, trinamool congress, ustad amjad ali khan, veteran actor, west bengal government