Bagan officials publicity hungry, egotist: BhaichungJune 16th, 2009 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 16 (IANS) Describing a section of Mohun Bagan officials as “publicity-hungry and egotist”, soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia Tuesday demanded they be thrown out of the football administration.
The Indian captain did not take names, but it was obvious that he was referring to Bagan general secretary Anjan Mitra and his loyalists running the 120-year-old club.
Accusing Bhutia of skipping practice and not turning out in an exhibition tie, Bagan had slapped a six-month suspension on the ace footballer. Bhutia, in turn, declared he would play for Bagan and took legal help.
Bhutia said his fight was not against Mohun Bagan, but rather against a couple of officials “who are publicity-hungry and work like dictators”.
“This is the reason why former Bagan players don’t want to get involved in the club administration nowadays. These officials’ dictatorial attitude is damaging the club’s reputation. It’s high time they invite former players to run the administration,” Bhutia said in a media meet at the Calcutta Sports Journalists’ Club here.
“I would rather sit for 12 months without pay than play for Bagan with these officials in charge,” he said.
Ridiculing the Bagan officials for questioning his commitment, Bhutia said: “How can you question my commitment while at the same time try to prevent me from leaving the club.”
But the player expressed faith in the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and the Indian Football Association (IFA), and expressed confidence that he would get justice. “It’s a battle between good and evil, and eventually, good will prevail.”
Bhutia is set to join the Indian team’s conditioning camp in Dubai from June 25.
- Bhutia moves AIFF on Bagan dispute - Jul 10, 2009
- Top footballer Bhaichung Bhutia ends his international career (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Bagan's 1911 Shield triumph to become part of school texts - Apr 10, 2012
- Bhaichung signs one-year contract with East Bengal - Jun 23, 2009
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- Bhaichung to appeal against Mohun Bagan's suspension notice - Jun 09, 2009
- Bhaichung Bhutia: A fairytale journey (Profile) - Aug 24, 2011
- Revamped I-League has to be pan-Indian, says Bhutia - Feb 25, 2012
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Mohun Bagan take Bhutia case to FIFA'S court - Nov 05, 2009
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Mohun Bagan fears premature, says arbitrator - Sep 23, 2009
- Bhutia signs for East Bengal - Sep 30, 2009
- Bhaichung to challenge Mohun Bagan's suspension order (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
Tags: aiff, anjan, bhaichung bhutia, calcutta, club administration, dictatorial attitude, dictators, egotist, exhibition tie, football association, football federation, general secretary, high time, indian captain, indian football, kolkata, loyalists, mitra, soccer star, sports journalists