Badminton veteran Gade builds up towards London OlympicsMay 20th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Wuhan (China), May 20 (IANS) Danish badminton player Peter Gade is feeling good about his game ahead of the London Olympics.
With a comfortable 2-0 win, Danish veteran Peter Gade led his country cruise past underdog South Africa in the opener of the Thomas Cup here Sunday.
In the first group stage encounter of the team championships, Denmark made a clean sweep by beating South Africa in straight sets.
In the first singles, Gade met little resistance from his lower-ranking opponent Jacob Malieka before winning 21-7, 21-6.
“It’ s nice to get going, I’ m pretty happy about my game. Today’s opponent is at lower level. I’m still building up towards London, hopefully getting better and better,” said Gade, who welcomed his ninth Thomas Cup journey.
“This time is my last Thomas Cup, hopefully I can get a medal here.”
Ranked world No. 5, Gade will be 36 at the end of the year. Last year at the Sudirman Cup, Gade hit form by leading Denmark into the final against China. However, he is finding tough to sustain a challenge on the world badminton circuit this year.
In 2012, Gade suffered a low tide, having won nothing. Last month at the European Championships, the highest-ranking European player was stopped in the early stage.
The former All England champion, who will retire after the London Games, said he was paying price for pushing his body to the limit.
“The last part of 2011 is really tough on me, a lot of tournaments and a lot of tough matches. My body is paying the price. Now since January, I am building up towards the Olympics, the tournaments from January to London Olympics don’t matter,” said Gade.
- Lee Chong Wei keeping relaxed ahead of London Olympics - May 21, 2012
- Chen Jin on course for Olympic berth - Apr 19, 2012
- Lin Dan hopes to see Lee Chong Wei in top form at Olympics - May 22, 2012
- At 34, Peter Gade is still a handful for younger opponents - Apr 29, 2011
- Danish badminton legend bows out in regret - Aug 03, 2012
- Lin Dan to lead China's challenge in Thomas Cup - May 18, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Lee Chong Wei's injury not serious - May 24, 2012
- I will return to defend my title: Lee Chong Wei - May 01, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Asian Badminton: Lin quits semi-final against Chen - Apr 21, 2012
- Lin Dan in quest of second Olympic title as China set to stamp authority - Jul 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- Chong Wei-Peter Gade final at India Open Super series (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chen Long, Wang Shixian capture crowns at China Masters - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: badminton circuit, badminton player, clean sweep, country cruise, danish, england champion, group stage, london games, london olympics, low tide, olympics, opponent, peter gade, straight sets, sudirman cup, thomas cup, underdog, veteran, world badminton, wuhan china