‘Bad’ game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier LegaueMarch 10th, 2011 - 4:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 10 (ANI): Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has accepted that his players played badly and he had ‘no excuses’ for the club’s defeat at Liverpool.
The United’s boss also warned that the 3-1 Anfield hammering has left them in a straight head-to-head with Arsenal for the title.
Ferguson said: “I have no excuses for the poor performance at Liverpool, who were the better team and deserved their win. I was disappointed because we didn’t perform to the level I expect and which, to be fair, we generally achieve.”
Arsenal is just three points behind United with a game in hand and could also halt their FA Cup ambitions on Saturday when the sides clash in the quarterfinals at Old Trafford, The Sun reports.
Ferguson fears that unlike last season, when Arsene Wenger’s side fell away at this time, now they are coming back strong.
“Last season the Gunners faded around the February-March period to leave Chelsea and ourselves in a two-horse race which saw us pipped at the post by a point,” he said.
“I think most pundits expected to see something similar this season, plus a challenge from Spurs and Manchester City to make it even more difficult for Arsenal to get back up to the top,” Ferguson said. (ANI)
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Arsenal's '2004 Invincibles' won't happen again: Ferguson - Dec 13, 2010
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Arsenal suffering a crisis of confidence: Wenger - Mar 13, 2011
- Ferguson asks Man U fans to stop Wenger jibes - Jan 30, 2010
- Fergie confident about Man U delivering against Olympique Marseille - Feb 23, 2011
- Ferguson hits back at Wenger's 'Scholes' darker side' jibe - Aug 28, 2010
- Arsenal under pressure to meet only remaining Premier League 'target': Wenger - Mar 21, 2011
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- Manchester United still favourites to win title: Wenger - May 02, 2011
- Fergie says City can't handle pressure, Man U used to playing big games - Jan 23, 2010
- Wenger says trophy less Gunners will continue with youth policy - Apr 23, 2011
- Dalglish told Wenger to 'p*** off' - Apr 18, 2011
- Wenger takes dig at Nani's 'intelligence' for writing off Arsenal's championship chances - Dec 24, 2010
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: alex ferguson, ambitions, arsenal, arsene wenger, bad game, clash, fa cup, gunners, horse race, liverpool, manchester city, manchester united, old trafford, poor performance, premier legaue, pundits, quarterfinals, sir alex ferguson, spurs, straight head