‘Bad boys’ Arsenal at the bottom of Premier League fair play tableNovember 12th, 2010 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 12(ANI): Arsenal has been branded the bad boys of the English Premier League after slipping to the bottom of the fair play table.
It comes after captain Cesc Fabregas escaped a red card for his shocking tackle against Stephen Ward, which left the Wolverhampton Wanderers defender with a gash above his ankle.
However, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted that Fabregas did not intend to hurt Ward.
“To get a red card, you need to do on purpose a violent, reckless challenge, but Cesc’s tackle was accidental. The intention in any tackle is very important,” the Mirror quoted Wenger, as saying.
“We have seen a side of my team which will be very important this season,” he added.
It has been an aggressive season for the Gunners, where Laurent Koscielny has been sent off twice, while Alex Song and Jack Wilshere have been sent off once.
Wenger himself has served a one-match touchline ban for manhandling officials.
Only West Bromwich Albion can match Arsenal with three red cards.
It is pertinent to mention that Arsenal had finished at the top of charts last season, and third in 2008-09 season. (ANI)
- Fabregas expected to play against Barcelona - Mar 07, 2011
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Arsenal's van Persie out for six weeks with knee injury - Mar 02, 2011
- Arsenal will not commit Champions League suicide: Jack Wilshere - Mar 07, 2011
- Last-minute thrillers render Chelsea win, Arsenal loss - Jan 03, 2012
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011
- Gunners move to within two points of Premier League leader Chelsea - Nov 15, 2010
- No rift between Fabregas, Denilson says coach Wenger - Jan 20, 2011
- I could write a book about the summer: Wenger - Sep 10, 2011
- Fabregas not leaving Arsenal this season: Wilson - Aug 06, 2010
- Wilshere set to defy Wenger, wants to play Euro under 21 - Mar 31, 2011
- Blackburn beat Arsenal 4-3 in EPL - Sep 17, 2011
- Barca coach Guardiola admits defeat in luring Gunners skipper Fabregas - Feb 22, 2011