Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2May 9th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Ipoh (Malaysia), May 9 (IANS) India put up a commanding performance to beat hosts Malaysia 5-2 in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament here Monday.
India thus avenged their Asian Games semifinal loss at the hands of Malaysia.
With this win, India are at third place with seven points from four matches. They lost to South Korea in the first match before beating Britain and drawing with Australia in their third match.
In the other matches of the day, Britain beat New Zealand 3-1 and Australia thrashed Pakistan 5-1. Britain lead the points table with nine points followed by World and Olympic champions Australia.
For India, Mandeep Antil scored twice while Roshan Minz, Rupinder Pal Singh, Sunil Sowmarpet scored one goal each. India made a good start and raced to a 3-0 lead within the first 22 minutes.
Although Malaysia lifted their game in the second half, they failed to convert the chances.
India took the lead against the run of play with skipper Arjun Halappa playing the ball square. Malaysian defender Bajlit Singh got a stick to it, but failed to trap it, allowing Roshan Minz to slam the ball into an unguarded goal to put India 1-0 ahead.
India weathered the Malaysian onslaught and hit back with deadly precision.
Ravipal then sent in a long pass towards the Malaysian goal and Mandeep Antil scored off the rebound after his first hit was blocked. India were in the driver’s seat, 2-0 up after 18 minutes.
India heaped more pressure on Malaysia when Rupinder Pal Singh send his flick sailing high into the goal off their first penalty corner in the 22nd minute. It was his fifth goal of the tournament that gave the visitors a 3-0 cushion.
Muhammad Azammi Adabi reduced the deficit to 1-3 in the 34th minute but no sooner had the cheers from the home fans died down than India struck for the fourth time as Sowmarpet scored in the 35th minute. India led 4-1 at halftime.
Malaysia went on the offensive early in the second half and were duly rewarded as Mohd Shahrun Nabil scored in the 43rd minute to reduce the deficit to 2-4.
India were then reduced to 10 men as Saravanjit Singh saw yellow in the 48th minute.
Izwan Firdaus squandered a goal scoring opportunity for the second time after being put through by Faisal Saari when he could not get past Indian custodian Bharat Kumar Chetri.
Malaysia was dealt a blow in the 57th minute as Mohd Razie Rahim was shown the yellow card for a rash tackle.
The hosts were awarded two penalty corners in the 63rd and 65th minutes, but Bharat denied Razie on both occasions.
Antil scored in the dying seconds to give India a comprehensive win. India will take on Pakistan Wednesday.
- Azlan Shah: India's medal hopes dashed as New Zealand crush them 7-3 - May 12, 2011
- India in semis of junior men's Asia Cup hockey - May 07, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Azlan Shah cup: India hold on Australia 1-1 - May 08, 2011
- Junior Asia Cup: India beaten by Malaysia in semis - May 10, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: India-Pakistan in final - Sep 09, 2011
- India beat South Korea 5-3 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 06, 2011
- Thailand defend ASEAN U-13 Cup football title (With Image) - Jul 15, 2012
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: BPCL, Air India enter semis - Sep 14, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: New-look India team has a lot to play for - May 04, 2011
- Malaysia beats Indonesia 3-0 in first leg of AFF Cup final - Dec 27, 2010
- Punjab win Junior National Hockey Championship - Sep 09, 2012
- Maharashtra knocked out, Punjab thrash Bihar in junior hockey nationals - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: adabi, antil, arjun, asian games, azlan shah cup, azlan shah cup hockey, azlan shah cup hockey tournament, deadly precision, fifth goal, home fans, india beat, mandeep, minz, olympic champions, seven points, south korea, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah cup, sultan azlan shah cup hockey, sultan azlan shah cup hockey tournament