Awards, promotions for railwaymen winning Games medalsOctober 6th, 2010 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kharagpur (West Bengal) Oct 6 (IANS) Railways employees have made the country proud by winning gold medals in the Commonwealth Games, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said Wednesday while announcing cash prizes and promotions for the champions.
“We have already announced Rs.10 lakh cash reward to each of the gold medal winners and they will also get promotion in their service. Railways respect sportsmen as they make the country feel proud,” said the railway minister at a foundation stone laying ceremony here in West Midnapore district.
“Many people criticized railways for spending crores of rupees for promoting games. When a sportsman from the railways bags a medal in any event, it makes the nation proud,” she said.
“On the second day of CWG, three of our sportsmen have won gold medals. We have more participants like Dola Banerjee and Sushil Kumar, who are sure to secure medals from their individual events,” the minister said.
She also announced that the railway stadium at Kharagpur will be upgraded to international standards with an investment of Rs.5 crore.
A statement issued by the ministry in New Delhi said Banerjee has conveyed her “heartiest congratulations” to the medal winners and announced a “special minister’s award”.
A cash award of Rs.10 lakh will be given to gold medal winners, Rs.6 lakh to silver medal winners and Rs.4 lakh to bronze medal winners, the statement said.
These awards will be in addition to those given by the Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB). The board gives a cash incentive of Rs.5 lakh to gold medal winners, Rs.3 lakh to silver medal winners and Rs.2 lakh to bronze medal winners, it said.
Shooter Anisa Sayyed, on the rolls of Western Railway, Wednesday won a gold medal in 25 metre pistol shooting (individual) in the Games. She also won a gold Tuesday in the pairs event in the 25 metre pistol shooting.
Weightlifter Y. Renubala Chanu, a Northeast Frontier Railway employee, Wednesday won a gold for India in the 58kg category.
Wrestler Rajender Singh of Western Railway won a gold medal in the 55kg category of Greco-Roman wrestling.
- Railways sportspersons bag 13 of 38 gold medals - Oct 14, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee announces awards for Railway players winning CWG medals - Oct 08, 2010
- Railways announce Rs.75 lakh award for Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- PM hails Sushil Kumar; railways rewards him Rs.75 lakh (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Petroleum ministry to award CWG medal winners - Oct 15, 2010
- Himachal to honour Asiad, CWG medal winners - Nov 29, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi to reward city's CWG medallists - Oct 18, 2010
- Dhumal congratulates shooter Vijay Kumar - Nov 19, 2010
- Himachal honours its Asiad, CWG medallists - Jan 25, 2011
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- Low-key welcome in Hyderabad for champion shuttlers - Oct 16, 2010
- Mamata announces promotion, cash award for Sushil Kumar - Sep 13, 2010
- Mexico has best Olympics in over 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Haryana gives Rs.15 lakh each to three gold medal wining wrestlers - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: bronze medal winners, cash incentive, chanu, commonwealth games, gold medal winners, gold medals, lakh, mamata banerjee, midnapore district, northeast frontier railway, pairs event, pistol shooting, railway employee, railway minister, sayyed, silver medal winners, sports promotion, sushil kumar, west bengal, western railway